Free Agent Frenzy

spndnchz

A look at the top remaining free agents (on NHL.com 7/7/10)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533739

I like Alexei Ponikarovsky, Alexander Frolov. Maybe Belanger? I know he's a center though.

There is no need for any of them. Even if Ennis doesn't make the team, Poni and Frolov will want long term deals. Vanek, Ennis, Hecht all could play top 6 LW. And i like Belanger but he's limited to 3rd or 4th line center, and Sabres now have Kennedy, Goose and Niedermayer who can do that.

The list of RWers and defense is very limited though.

No rolling four lines this year - the geezers won't be able to handle the minutes!

Let's see Roy try some of his locker room tomfoolery on Nieds - my guess is he gets b*tch slapped and left with the impression of a stanley cup ring across his face.

Lest we forget, we did sign a Finnish geezer before the end of the lockout who spent four years with us before retiring...

I still miss Teppo.

Teppo is a retired defenseman who wore #27; Scott Neidermayer is a retired defenseman who wore #27; Rob Neidermayer is Scott Neidermayer's brother. So, basically, we're getting Teppo back ... sort of. ;)

The three degrees of Teppo Numminen?

The three degrees of Teppo Numminen?

...and Rob Neidermayer likes bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and bacon is the same word as Kevin Bacon's last name. So, we go from Teppo Numminen to Kevin Bacon in only five degrees. :D

so the Sharks start the RFA poaching, and who better than the champions to go for.. they signed defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson to a 4-year, $14 million offer sheet, in exchange for a 1st and 3rd round pick.. seems like good value there

From the News:

"The camp, as usual, had its lighter moments. One included fans in Dwyer Arena playfully chanting at Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier to sign high-priced free agent winger Ilya Kovalchuk. 'I was going to hold out my hand actually for a couple bucks,' Regier said with a smile."

I wonder how playful the fans were, really. Of course Vogl had to characterize it that way. Wouldn't want to report on any dissent or fan anger.

He must think we're all in on the back-slapping and ######-kissing going on between the organization and the media.

Man, that makes me mad. And Regier's retort doesn't help. Interesting joke. In every joke, they say, there's a kernel of truth. Salary cap, billionaire owner, and we don't have the financial werewithal to make a run at offensive talent, but the Devils do?

From the News:

"The camp, as usual, had its lighter moments. One included fans in Dwyer Arena playfully chanting at Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier to sign high-priced free agent winger Ilya Kovalchuk. 'I was going to hold out my hand actually for a couple bucks,' Regier said with a smile."

I wonder how playful the fans were, really. Of course Vogl had to characterize it that way. Wouldn't want to report on any dissent or fan anger.

He must think we're all in on the back-slapping and ######-kissing going on between the organization and the media.

Man, that makes me mad. And Regier's retort doesn't help. Interesting joke. In every joke, they say, there's a kernel of truth. Salary cap, billionaire owner, and we don't have the financial werewithal to make a run at offensive talent, but the Devils do?

Fired up the vitriol early this am huh. Like you said so eloquently there is a Kernel of truth in what DR says and does. As its been hashed and rehashed he is not doing anything but eating bons bons and watching Pretty Woman.

i agree with you about sort of having to sign vanek, but i disagree with you saying hes not worth the 7 mil, yes he had an off year this year, but hes an elite player when he plays to his potential.

Hes a good player, he might become a great player, but he is NO WHERE near being an elite player right now

For some reason I thought the Flyers being able to sign another "top six" forward who will probably score about 30-35 goals this season would garner more of a reaction. Is this it? Have we (the fans) finally given up on this off-season?

In order to fit him (given where they are cap-wise), though, they will likely have to give up another 30-goal scorer in Gagne or even Carter. They found a cheaper option that might do the same thing, but I'm waiting to see the fallout before I judge it. Probably not a good thing for the Sabres that they got him for just $2 million.

For some reason I thought the Flyers being able to sign another "top six" forward who will probably score about 30-35 goals this season would garner more of a reaction. Is this it? Have we (the fans) finally given up on this off-season?

Drew Stafford has as much potential to score 30-35 goals this year. I'll be curious to follow theirs paths this year.

I had zero expectation that he was coming to WNY. I also think PHL will figure out a way to keep everyone..

Archived