GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Good Call!!!

But shouldn't that penalty have been an automatic goal?

He has to be on a clear breakaway for the automatic goal. Grier had just gotten a step on him. Still, great play by Grier to seal the win.

Welcome to the forum! Much like the Sabres themselves, there's a pretty good mix of newbies and grizzled vets on this board, so feel free to join in whenever the mood strikes.

Awesome game tonight (minus the first 15 min. of the second period) -- keep it comin' boys!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words :)

That was one physical game! The Sabres were playing a classic bend-but-don't-break defense and they didn't force anything. Boston put up A LOT of shots, but there were very few that were high percentage shots. Even the 2-on-1's that they had, our defense was able to shut them down. Major props to Lydman, Myers, Rivet, and Modator. Sekera looked shaky, but not too too bad. Tallinder had about two good shifts. He didn't play very badly, but he didn't stand out in either direction.

With that said, I didn't see Rivet on the ice during the later part of the game. Was he ok, or did I just miss him during my heart palpitations?

I had to watch the game with one eye, due to an eye infection, but I liked what I saw. Sabres played smart, Vanek and Miller were the two best Sabres......Good work Boys.......... :beer:

You do realize that you now need to keep that infection the rest of the way, right? You'd give an eye for the cup, I know it.

Good win guys, there were some rocky moments there but great time to step up by the captain, especially after all the flak he'd been taking lately.

Loved the physical aspect today :death:, Ruff had them ready to play except that section of the 2nd period when they were looking very smug and overconfident.

I'm too lazy to dig up the rule book, but it's the same exact rules as a penalty shot. Grier never made a play towards the net, so it's not an option.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26310

26.1 Awarded Goal – A goal will be awarded to the attacking team when the opposing team has taken their goalkeeper off the ice and an attacking player has possession and control of the puck in the neutral or attacking zone on, without a defending player between himself and the opposing goal, and he is prevented from scoring as a result of an infraction committed by the defending team.

Basically, Chara prevented Grier from getting into the open alone, and that's why it's not an automatic goal.

I actually really liked that! Go Sabres!!

Just watched, not bad -- although did anyone else notice that when he's talking about Myers (towards the beginning) they are showing Rivet? lol :oops:

Edit: The original link from PA didn't copy over before:

Buffalo rapper Eddie Haskill has released another beauty of a playoff anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/supernova79

The third period was a thing of beauty. I thought the Sabres applied just the right amount of pressure offensively without giving anything to the Bruins. Was there even a single odd-man rush by Boston that resulted in a shot on goal? I don't think so.

My three stars:

1. Rivet- Game winner, played sound defense.

2. Lydman- Defensive MONSTER. Loved his game tonight.

3. Miller- Kept us in the game when the rest of the team took the second period off.

4. Vanek- Not only a goal, but one of the best all-around games I've seen out of him in a long time.

5. Kennedy- Lots of hustle, showed maturity beyond his years and set up the winning goal.

What? I can give out more than three stars if I want to! :nana:

My one concern, and I'm willing to overlook this if it gets corrected as the playoffs go on, was Myers' play deep in his own zone. Too many turnovers, too many indecisive moments. It was his first playoff game though, and since the Sabres won I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Out of all the D-men, though, he's the one that Lindy needs to have a long talk with.

I live almost exactly between Boston and NYC. We're stuck with NESN coverage and they are the biggest homers. They make the Rangers announcers seem impartial. Homerism is expected to some extent but these guys are a poor influence upon kids who learn that your team can do no wrong and anything negative that happens is the fault of someone else.

Glad to see the game, however, and the NESN announcers reaching for reasons other than the Bruins were outplayed for the outcome.

I live almost exactly between Boston and NYC. We're stuck with NESN coverage and they are the biggest homers. They make the Rangers announcers seem impartial. Homerism is expected to some extent but these guys are a poor influence upon kids who learn that your team can do no wrong and anything negative that happens is the fault of someone else.

Glad to see the game, however, and the NESN announcers reaching for reasons other than the Bruins were outplayed for the outcome.

I think that's why Boston fans in any sport are arguably the most unbearable.

One of the plays of the game, IMHO, was when Tallinder fell down by himself in the corner in the third, was in some big trouble and had the presence of mind to glove the puck to a teammate to take the pressure off. Cool as a cucumber.

That was a great game.

One of the plays of the game, IMHO, was when Tallinder fell down by himself in the corner in the third, was in some big trouble and had the presence of mind to glove the puck to a teammate to take the pressure off. Cool as a cucumber.

That was a great game.

Crowd loud enough for ya? :)

The third period was a thing of beauty. I thought the Sabres applied just the right amount of pressure offensively without giving anything to the Bruins. Was there even a single odd-man rush by Boston that resulted in a shot on goal? I don't think so.

My three stars:

1. Rivet- Game winner, played sound defense.

2. Lydman- Defensive MONSTER. Loved his game tonight.

3. Miller- Kept us in the game when the rest of the team took the second period off.

4. Vanek- Not only a goal, but one of the best all-around games I've seen out of him in a long time.

5. Kennedy- Lots of hustle, showed maturity beyond his years and set up the winning goal.

What? I can give out more than three stars if I want to! nana.gif

My one concern, and I'm willing to overlook this if it gets corrected as the playoffs go on, was Myers' play deep in his own zone. Too many turnovers, too many indecisive moments. It was his first playoff game though, and since the Sabres won I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Out of all the D-men, though, he's the one that Lindy needs to have a long talk with.

I agree with your stars except NOT necessarily in that order. Methinks Boston got a taste of Kennedy country - setting up almost single handedly Rivet's goal! What a Trojan Horse!!

And, definitely, within the Sabres Republic you can pick as many stars as you want! Life, Liberty, Property!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

Crowd loud enough for ya? :)

I couldn't hear it over that ###### horn. :thumbdown:

Boston may be the perfect 1st round opponent. Like a quality sparring partner. They do a lot of things well and are pretty frigging tough. Just not good enough offensively to knock the Sabres out. They have a lot of the qualities the Sabres lack. If they can bring that out of the Sabres like a quality sparring partner does? Who knows?

Archived