GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I know with the Sabres winning of late most don't want to address this, but it should be. He is playing horrible Hockey. You bring up a great point; how do our young guys put any stock into what Ruff is selling when it doesn't apply to ALL.

Rivet has become a liability and will get exposed come Playoff time if he doesn't shape up.

I think Rivet looked a LITTLE better tonight. He stole a few pucks, made a couple decent passes. But yea, where has he been? C'mon, Captain! Show us what you got, if there's anything left!

Amazing how exciting a game can be when the refs actually let them play. There was a bunch of missed calls, but they were petty and balanced between both teams. If the officials would tone down on the minor penalties that have no direct impact on the play this game would be much more fun to watch. Almost reminded me of a playoff game tonight!

So Buffalo versus Thomas and Buffalo versus Rask seem to be two different games. If the Bruins and Sabres lock up a playoff matchup, it's going to be all Rask, all the time. Buffalo can't seem to beat Rask. Just like they can't seem to beat Eliot in Ottawa.

Awesome game...

Some points that I noted

-Boston was getting behind our D all night long. Way too many chances on Miller. Not really the fault of one particular D man or unit. Maybe it was simply how the teams matched up last night.

-As for Miller, if this dude's not at least the Vezina winner, then my name is Elvis, I'm alive and well, and I'm a huge contributor to a Buffalo Sabres message board. I'd give him the Hart too.

-Gerbe played bigger than his "Roloff" sized frame.

-Crazy, crazy ending to the game. Boston was blowing the Sabres out of the building after their 2nd goal. It's not like the Bruins lost the game, it was that they simply ran out of time to score their 3rd goal... It was happening soon.

-That's how you win playoff games. Backs to the wall, injuries galore, other team beating the snot out of you. Find a way to win.

-What's our magic number now for the division? All bad karma can be erased if we clinch next saturday night...

points. 3 Buffalo wins or 3 Ottawa losses or any combination of

so, we control our own destiny to clinch on HNIC against the Canadiens, and if Ottawa loses tonight, we control our own destiny to clinch against the Leafs on Thursday. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

so, we control our own destiny to clinch on HNIC against the Canadiens, and if Ottawa loses tonight, we control our own destiny to clinch against the Leafs on Thursday. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

We also control our own destiny for the 2nd EC seed, which is what I really want and hope the Sabres want too. Home ice advantage could be the difference maker in a second round matchup against the Devils or Penguins.

That was the backlash of carrying a full roster all season. They didn't have the luxury of a call up most of the time.

They take injuries into account when they do those things and we're down quite a few bodies.

If after clearing waivers they had sent Mair and/or Paetsch to Portland, there would have been plenty of room. :doh:

If after clearing waivers they had sent Mair and/or Paetsch to Portland, there would have been plenty of room. :doh:

True, but it all depends on the timeline. Mair played in 10 games pretty quickly after he cleared, so he would've had to clear again. Paetsch? I don't know if he ever hit the 10 game mark. Then again, if he was on a one way deal, there was no way this team was going to him that much to play in Portland. A flawed decision? Probably, but that's the way they are.

As for that magic number, it's not officially 6. It is 6 for Ottawa alone, but Montreal can still finish tied with us if we lose out (yeah, not likely). If that happens, they take the tie breaker since they would have more wins.

Is it wrong for me to care more about how they finish the season rather than where? I was hoping by this point in the season their defense would be better and they wouldn't be relying on Miller as much. Here we are in the final 10 games and Miller has to steal games against the 8th seed.

Is it wrong for me to care more about how they finish the season rather than where? I was hoping by this point in the season their defense would be better and they wouldn't be relying on Miller as much. Here we are in the final 10 games and Miller has to steal games against the 8th seed.

A clinched playoff spot, not all that much to play for, and a bunch of Pirates in the lineup

What is this fantasy world you live in where every win has to measure up to your standards? All in all, I thought this was a very impressive win...

1. On the road

2. Against a very desperate team with their back against the wall

3. While missing our top goal scorer, top point producer, and our most physical player

All in all, the Bruins had WAY more to play for yesterday, and I'd say the Sabres matched them in energy.

Ok, Miller made some good saves. Does any team win without their goalie making good saves? Does a victory not count the same if the goalie was one of your best players? I don't get it. If Ovechkin scores a hat trick and the Capitals win 5-2, it was a dominating performance. If Miller stands on his head and the Sabres win 3-2, then the Sabres got lucky and stole a win. Why the double standard? Why scoff on a victory because our best player played like our best player? That's how it's supposed to work. Yesterday specifically, Miller let in an incredibly weak goal and the team still won 3-2.

I'm sorry, you have the right to your opinion. But your enduring criticism, even after an impressive win, frustrates me. Maybe that's wrong, but it frustrates me.

(last game against Boston, Bruin's play-by-play man Jack Edwards referred to the Sabres as cadavers.)

Actually, they do go through phases where their play is zombie-like. After watching last night's game, I think the NHL should track a new statistic: the number of times a team has puck possession in their own end and they fail to get it out of their zone......:doh:

forgive my ignorance (i watch far less hockey than i'd like): but who's that krejci guy/kid? not only did he score a nifty one, he looked dangerous throughout the game.

He's kinda like the Stafford of the Bruins. Only like.. better

Year Team League GP G A PTS +/- PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG PIM Shots PCT Hits

2009-10 Boston NHL 72 17 30 47 4 6 8 0 1 3 24 136 12.50 76

2008-09 Boston NHL 82 22 51 73 37 5 14 2 2 6 26 146 15.07 -

2007-08 Boston NHL 56 6 21 27 -3 1 9 1 1 0 20 73 8.22 -

2006-07 Boston NHL 6 0 0 0 -3 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 .00 -

For reference, here's Stafford

2009-10 Buffalo NHL 65 13 17 30 1 5 5 0 0 1 33 161 8.07 56

2008-09 Buffalo NHL 79 20 25 45 3 9 8 0 0 0 29 183 10.93 -

2007-08 Buffalo NHL 64 16 22 38 3 1 2 0 0 5 51 103 15.53 -

2006-07 Buffalo NHL 41 13 14 27 5 3 1 0 0 3 33 67 19.40 -

So Buffalo versus Thomas and Buffalo versus Rask seem to be two different games. If the Bruins and Sabres lock up a playoff matchup, it's going to be all Rask, all the time. Buffalo can't seem to beat Rask. Just like they can't seem to beat Eliot in Ottawa.

And it is written:.."things are NOT always as they seem"....

Come playoff time, methinks that Sabres will score at will against whomever.

The most balanced scoring team in the NHL will be very difficult to match up against!

Oh yeah, and we have the best goaltender in the world? That's what they say!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!!!

Is there not one MORON in the Vs. behind the scenes production staff that could inform the PbP man that Kennedy's first name is TIM not Tyler.

All Beninati has to do is look at a flippin' roster. It's not that hard.

Anyone taking bets on how long he goes with this?

Beninati is a total tool - first the "Tyler" Kennedy call (not once, but twice), but then he just said Rivet "activated"....WTF?? It's called pinching in from the point Joe - stop trying to sound so sophisticated; you're not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsrVg5efdI

Archived