Playoffs??? Playoffs!!!

Corp000085

So, till about November, I was happily trotting through the season. Then, one Monday at 7:28pm, I switch to Vs on my DishNetwork dvr and notice that it has been pulled from my subscription plan. Since the Sabres hadn't made the playoffs since those unnamed co-captains had been released, I thought what the hey, I'll listen to the game on wgr. Well, apparently, the Sabres turned out to be a pretty damn good team and last night they made the playoffs. Now, I need to spend some dough in order to watch my team in the playoffs because the NHL has the worst possible tv contract ever. I mean, Yo Gabba Gabba has a sweater deal on Nick Jr. right now. Based on TV deals alone, DJ Lance Rock is like 300x better than the Buffalo Sabres, Sidney Crosby, the beloved NY Rangers, Ovechkin, and Brian Engblom's hair combined together. While DJ Lance, Biz's beat of the day, and drawing with Mark Mothersbaugh is pretty damn cool, its not the Bufalo Sabres. [/vent]

With all of that said, I'm happily awaiting normal business hours to call dish and have versus added to my account ASAP because I'm not missing a single moment of my team!

Sorry, Corp, but Dish sucks ######. DirecTV all the way. Versus is back, and MSG HD for home Sabres games!

In all fairness, I did like DTV better, but the difference between dish and DTV is like the difference between a dell and a gateway... They're all the same. Price of dish is better and its bundled, so that's why I switched. I'll take the extra $$ to watch 2 months of hockey and hopefully NHL will be back on ESPN soon.

In all fairness, I did like DTV better, but the difference between dish and DTV is like the difference between a dell and a gateway... They're all the same. Price of dish is better and its bundled, so that's why I switched. I'll take the extra $$ to watch 2 months of hockey and hopefully NHL will be back on ESPN soon.

Right after the Sabres win the SC AND the Bills win the SB

I have Dish now, and have had dish, dtv, and comcast cable...The reason I stick with Dish is the DVR...Much easier to use than any of the other ones.

I have Dish now, and have had dish, dtv, and comcast cable...The reason I stick with Dish is the DVR...Much easier to use than any of the other ones.

Whenever I see these type of comments I wonder if I even have the same service as you guys do. I am still FURIOUS with DirecTV over all the blackout BS... but are you KIDDING me? Dish Network and Cable aren't even in the LEAGUE of DirecTV if you care about Sports, HD picture quality, HD programming, and DVR Minutes available to record programs. If they were, I would have dropped DirecTV long ago due to "arrogance of customer service". Let me ask you the following:

1. Do you care about the NFL. DirecTV is the only with Sunday Ticket.

2. What kind of TV do you have? Can you tell the difference in picture quality? If you spent the $ on a "good" TV, you will really appreciate DirecTV a lot more.

3. Do you like to watch non-sports in HD? DirecTV is far ahead in offering everything from Animal Planet to HD Net, etc. in HD.

These are just the 1st things that come to mind. I realize that not everyone "cares" about all this stuff, but to say that Dish or Cable are equal or better than DirecTV... it seems to me this is like a Hyundai owner trying to justify why their car is as good or better than a Cadillac.

Whenever I see these type of comments I wonder if I even have the same service as you guys do. I am still FURIOUS with DirecTV over all the blackout BS... but are you KIDDING me? Dish Network and Cable aren't even in the LEAGUE of DirecTV if you care about Sports, HD picture quality, HD programming, and DVR Minutes available to record programs. If they were, I would have dropped DirecTV long ago due to "arrogance of customer service". Let me ask you the following:

2. What kind of TV do you have? Can you tell the difference in picture quality? If you spent the $ on a "good" TV, you will really appreciate DirecTV a lot more.

3. Do you like to watch non-sports in HD? DirecTV is far ahead in offering everything from Animal Planet to HD Net, etc. in HD.

These are just the 1st things that come to mind. I realize that not everyone "cares" about all this stuff, but to say that Dish or Cable are equal or better than DirecTV... it seems to me this is like a Hyundai owner trying to justify why their car is as good or better than a Cadillac.

Cable, phone, internet - $85 a month including HD and DVR for two years from Cablevision. 'Nuff said.

That is an outstanding deal.

Absolutely. I don't know if it is still going on but it was for anyone that switched providers. It'll suck going without the Bills for two years, but probably less than watching them for the last ten.

Dish was cheaper on my end, and even on rainy stormy days it doesn't go out for me.

Either I'm lucky, or they planted it in a good spot for me.

I've never had a problem with Dish, even their customer support is paramount. DirectTV on the other hand has the worst of them all, it's like talking to Dell's customer support, just a bunch of people from India trying to make a quick few cents.

All depends on one's priorities. I don't care about the NFL other than the Bills, and I live in Buffalo, so no need for DTV there. (Plus, I don't think the NFL will be stupid enough to extend the DTV monopoly when it runs out after two more seasons, anyway.)

I cannot tell the difference between DTV on HD televisions (at friends houses) and cable on my own.

I get enough HD channels to be happy; I don't know what I'm missing.

But where I live, the only real high-speed internet comes from Time Warner. That's more important to me than whatever channels I might be missing. That might change if/when Fios comes to my neighborhood.

Agreed. I also discovered, to my delight, that DirecTV now offers DVR sharing between rooms. As long as each DVR is networked (i.e, broadband internet-connected), you can now access all recorded programs from any of the networked boxes. Why is this a big deal? I constantly have to decide which programs to delete off the "main" box due to space considerations; now, I can just use my other two boxes to record programs and I've effectively tripled my hard drive size.

I know DirecTV is a little more expensive -- but you get what you pay for.

Agreed. I also discovered, to my delight, that DirecTV now offers DVR sharing between rooms. As long as each DVR is networked (i.e, broadband internet-connected), you can now access all recorded programs from any of the networked boxes. Why is this a big deal? I constantly have to decide which programs to delete off the "main" box due to space considerations; now, I can just use my other two boxes to record programs and I've effectively tripled my hard drive size.

I know DirecTV is a little more expensive -- but you get what you pay for.

DirecTV is more expensive - I'm paying about $20 more per month than I would be if I had cable installed on the same number of televisions. That being said, for out-of-market Sabres fans who have HDTVs I think DirecTV is the only option as they are the only provider of Center Ice that has all the Sabres games that are in HD in HD.

Sorry, Corp, but Dish sucks ######. DirecTV all the way. Versus is back, and MSG HD for home Sabres games!

Does this mean tonight's game is on Directv?

I have already ordered cable for the 3 month playoff period!

Archived