Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

This quote really jumped out at me and says it all:

"When you give your whole life to something and you come up short, as a team, it's just awful. It's a little different than playing on the men's side. You really give your life to it. You make lots of sacrifices to win the gold medal." --Angela Ruggiero of the U.S. team.

I hope the NHL's co-opting of the Olympics ends right here.

But, PA, it's different...there's no real league for the women. For the men...if you take out the NHL, we're just going to get KHL / AHL / Juniors players. It's still going to be a 'professional' game, just younger, more inexperienced, and not as highly skilled.

I know there's still the 3rd period to go...and I'm not writing off Slovakia quite yet...

But this is building to be the most epic, amazing gold medal game in 30 years. For any of you clamoring for amateurs returning to the Olympics, this is the prime example of why the BEST of the BEST should be playing every four years. If these were young junior kids playing out there, it would be cool and somewhat exciting, but it wouldn't carry anywhere near as much weight.

I know there's still the 3rd period to go...and I'm not writing off Slovakia quite yet...

But this is building to be the most epic, amazing gold medal game in 30 years. For any of you clamoring for amateurs returning to the Olympics, this is the prime example of why the BEST of the BEST should be playing every four years. If these were young junior kids playing out there, it would be cool and somewhat exciting, but it wouldn't carry anywhere near as much weight.

I thought the US Juniors was pretty scintillating...

Unbelievable... Finland is shell shocked...

Americans look like Canadians...

Darko Roto Rooter just tackled Ryan Miller and then pinned him down to the ice refusing to release. Well he got two minutes and a 10 minute misconduct, announcers saying the IHF will have NO part of that kind of behavior.

Hey NHL officials, take notice ! Not only DRR but Ottawa and other goon inclined squads are unacceptable in world class aptitude and skill hockey. When play resumes the undue influence these substandard play organizations (because of a few players) have exhibited will be scrutinized!

Mike Milbury called out the Russians as Eurotrash for their uninspired play against Canada! Actually, the real Eurotrash are DRR and their ilk for action on ice that has no place in an aptitude and skill game like hockey!

So, Bettman is interviewed at the 2nd break by Al Michaels and he says that these are NHL players and NHL officiating but the difference is that Bettman does NOT call the games in the Olympics - they are scrutinized by the international community. Bettman should go away and

the often times subjective officiating the Sabres have experienced will go away as well! And when that happens nothing will stop the Sabres ability to win it all! Go Ryan! GO USA! Go Buffalo Sabres!!!

I thought the US Juniors was pretty scintillating...

Don't get me wrong, it's not that junior hockey can't be exciting...but it's the difference between watching the Calder Cup and Stanley Cup playoffs. I grew up in Rochester, so the Calder Cup was always fun...but it was the Stanley Cup playoffs and the level of hockey that came along with them that was far more exciting. If you could choose between the two...wouldn't you choose the higher level of competition?

Have you considered what this means for all the college kids who will never be able to represent their country in the Olympics? You think they're loving this tournament?

Have you considered what this means for all the college kids who will never be able to represent their country in the Olympics? You think they're loving this tournament?

Sports are a competition. If you're not the best, you don't make it. Do you feel bad for all the kids who play in juniors or the AHL who'll never make the NHL? Should we give all the kids in Portland a shot in Buffalo just because they try really hard?

Plus, the real dilemma is that if we send college/junior kids, that doesn't mean Russia or anyone else will. All the European leagues shut down for the Olympics. You're asking us to operate at a disadvantage for the sake of our 'kids'. Our 'kids' will probably lose more often than not, because they don't have the skill or experience to compete with the older guys in Russia or Europe. A 'miracle' will happen once every 50-ish years, but what about all the times in-between?

Also, I bet the young college/junior kids are loving this tournament, hoping for a chance to be in the NHL AND play for gold one day.

I've got to say, I'm completely disappointed by Canadian fans. Chanting Tim Thomas's name in a 6-1 game? Booing the winning team--especially in a game where Canada isn't involved? Usually, the first to start the anthem-booing contest in the Stanley Cup playoffs, too. Utterly classless behavior, and the thing is, it's time and again.

Look deep in the mirror and tell me who the "ugly" nation is, Canadians.

Sports are a competition. If you're not the best, you don't make it. Do you feel bad for all the kids who play in juniors or the AHL who'll never make the NHL? Should we give all the kids in Portland a shot in Buffalo just because they try really hard?

Plus, the real dilemma is that if we send college/junior kids, that doesn't mean Russia or anyone else will. All the European leagues shut down for the Olympics. You're asking us to operate at a disadvantage for the sake of our 'kids'. Our 'kids' will probably lose more often than not, because they don't have the skill or experience to compete with the older guys in Russia or Europe. A 'miracle' will happen once every 50-ish years, but what about all the times in-between?

Also, I bet the young college/junior kids are loving this tournament, hoping for a chance to be in the NHL AND play for gold one day.

Right on.

And like it or not, we live in a world that today, puts alot of emphasis on what attracts people, viewers, advertising, and ultimately $$$. The world stage of the Olympics will inevitably draw more attention if what you witness is the best playing the best.

Im 32 so Im just a shade too young to have (with recollection) witnessed what happened in 1980. I saw the movie 'Miracle.' I manufactured tears, not because of the Hollywood angles of human anguish and Jim Craig looking for his Pop after the game, but because I also know how much it meant symbolically to our country at that particular time. I get it.

Wasnt part of the miracle the fact that our college kids were playing pro's from Russia? Do countries like this (Russia) place so much attention on tragedy, heartbreak, and drama like you see every night on the NBC telecast? I dont know for sure, but I doubt it. Those countries are robotically there to win. I think seeing a "miracle" once in 50 yrs-ish is very generous. We'll never see that again IMO. Seems sending amateurs would just be self imposed hand-cuffs, which to some (but not all) never makes sense.

Today, the college kids can make it to the NHL. Where they can make mega bucks and have a chance then. What does it mean to not be able to represent the country? Well, how much would it mean to any of us, to never get to despite a financially easy 4 yr. ride at a major University, taking basket weaving and gym class management courses for easy grades, while playing the game we love and probably score a ton of chicks we otherwise would never be able to?

USA Canada for the GOLD and World Supremacy of hockey! Personally, I love this pack of lunch pail carriers, with our Sabres Goaltender and Western NY natives. USA baby!

I've got to say, I'm completely disappointed by Canadian fans. Chanting Tim Thomas's name in a 6-1 game? Booing the winning team--especially in a game where Canada isn't involved? Usually, the first to start the anthem-booing contest in the Stanley Cup playoffs, too. Utterly classless behavior, and the thing is, it's time and again.

They are a classy bunch, aren't they? I love Canada and 99.9% of the hundreds of Canadiens I've met over the years but the fans packing that hockey arena are giving them a bad name. Bush league all the way. It's as though they don't realize they're even attending an Olympic competition.

Now that Team USA has made the final, would you guys want them to play Canada or Slovakia? I say if you're going for the Gold, you gotta go against the best. So I'd like it if Team USA played Canada. Just curious of what everyone is thinking/hoping.

As a side note, I'm sure NBC is HOPING for a Team USA/Canada rematch. That game could possibly be the most watched hockey game in years. A Team USA/Canada rematch could be the most watched hockey game ever.

Now that Team USA has made the final, would you guys want them to play Canada or Slovakia? I say if you're going for the Gold, you gotta go against the best. So I'd like it if Team USA played Canada. Just curious of what everyone is thinking/hoping.

As a side note, I'm sure NBC is HOPING for a Team USA/Canada rematch. That game could possibly be the most watched hockey game in years. A Team USA/Canada rematch could be the most watched hockey game ever.

I know it should be USA-CANADA, but I wouldn't be too unhappy with USA-Slovakia. Afterall, USA already downed Canada fair and square. Canada scares the beejeebees out of me.

They are a classy bunch, aren't they? I love Canada and 99.9% of the hundreds of Canadiens I've met over the years but the fans packing that hockey arena are giving them a bad name. Bush league all the way. It's as though they don't realize they're even attending an Olympic competition.

One ugly little secret about those glamorous, enlightened other countries that love to denigrate the uncouth, cowboy USA is that their populations are generally much more jingoistic than ours is.

I read it on some web site few days ago and it was like $84 million. Team Canada was like $125 million.

Good info. Thanks.

I know it should be USA-CANADA, but I wouldn't be too unhappy with USA-Slovakia. Afterall, USA already downed Canada fair and square. Canada scares the beejeebees out of me.

+1, although if the USA wins, it will be nothing less than legendary.

Archived