GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

wjag

Game thoughts...

- 0-4-1 in their last 5 road games.

- Paul Hamilton is an idiot. Between the 2nd and 3rd periods, I heard..."You aren't going to shutdown Malkin and Crosby for an entire game". Why not genius? Also this gem..."Miller is human". When he is playing like crap, just say so.

- What exactly does Butler do well? That was about as weak an effort that he could make on the first Pittsburgh goal(See next bullet point).

- If I didn't know better, I'd swear the Sabres were trying to set a record for most odd man rushes against in one game. Oh by the way, who is coaching the defensemen on playing the 2 on 1? Just awful!

- Which team played yesterday and which one had the day off?

- Paul Hamilton is an idiot. Between the 2nd and 3rd periods, I heard..."You aren't going to shutdown Malkin and Crosby for an entire game". Why not genius? Also this gem..."Miller is human". When he is playing like crap, just say so.

Which of the announcers referred to Burke's "Detroit Maple Leafs"? :blink:

Monty struggles again. Butler struggles again. And Miller has a rare poor night. I thought the Sabres played pretty well for most of the game, besides a few break downs in the 2nd period and the absolute brutal first Pens goal. They limited Pittsburgh's chances and that Staal goal and Sid's second goal should never had went in. We've played Pittsburgh 3 times now, beating them once in the shootout, once by 1 at home and lost by 1 in Pittsburgh.

Totally frustrating to watch tonight. A few things stuck out.

Miller was terrible, and not only that, he just did not look comfortable at all in the game. Even in the third period when he was making saves, he really had no idea where the puck was going and just didn't look comfortable at all even when he did make the saves. I think a great example of this is the Crosby PP goal. One of the best parts about Miller's game is his ability to read the play, anticipate, and get in the right position. Anyone who has seen a single Penguins game knows that Crosby loves setting up down low near the line and loves the backdoor one timer. Miller would usually move in position and at least get in front of that shot, but he came over way too late. The Pens tried that play again in the third when they were on the PP, but Miller got there in time to make the save. Miller was just totally off tonight.

Having said that, his defenseman gave him absolutely no help. Three of the Pens goals were on transition plays where a defenseman was caught deep the other way and it was either a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 or some sort of odd man chance. The first goal by the Pens, Rivet pinched with not a single forward back to cover his spot, and Butler does not commit early enough to taking the passing lane away. On Staal's goal, bad play by the defenseman forcing Roy to cover, and he just looked awful. On Crosby's goal, I think it was Lydman who did not commit early enough to taking the passing lane away allowing Miller to just focus on Crosby, which by the way was caused by a bad pinch by Montador. Miller had to guess, which gave Crosby enough of a chance to score, and you can't give the best player in hockey that kind of opportunity. The defenseman were all-in-all lousy tonight.

It's really too bad because the Sabres actually played really well in the first and third periods, but they just gave the game away in the second period. Roy played extremely well in the first, Vanek had three or four shots that could have gone in, and the Sabres scored two PP goals. They played really well but gave it away with poor play from the defenseman and Miller. Too bad.

Clearly Kaleta was gone after that first shift and never returned. I imagine he will miss the Ottawa game and Ellis will be playing that one. Unfortunately, that's a game the Sabres need Kaleta so as to set the physical tempo, but alas, that is unlikely to happen. Well, only thing I'm hoping for is that the Sabres point streak at home continues because they are facing a red hot Ottawa team.

Monty struggles again. Butler struggles again. And Miller has a rare poor night. I thought the Sabres played pretty well for most of the game, besides a few break downs in the 2nd period and the absolute brutal first Pens goal. They limited Pittsburgh's chances and that Staal goal and Sid's second goal should never had went in. We've played Pittsburgh 3 times now, beating them once in the shootout, once by 1 at home and lost by 1 in Pittsburgh.

Actually, they beat us that first time in the SO. :thumbdown:

Although, all three games against the Pens this season have been fantastic. That first SO loss was the most exciting game I saw prior to end of December; the 4-3 comeback at home Dec. 29; and this game tonight was great to watch. Well, except for the Pens controlling the forecheck ridiculously well for too much of the second and third periods and Sabres loss.

The Sabres can play with the Pens on any night tonight it just did not go there way. But you look at all the games against them this year I think Buffalo has really hung in there with them. Miller did not help by no means but he gets a free pass tonight. Lets just hope for a win on wed or its down to 3 points.

Archived