The Chart

carpandean

One of the WGR frat boys said he calculated the point total necessary to make the playoffs this year and got 85.

If you look back at this post, you'll see that last year the "93-point pace" line bounced between 3 and 5 points above the playoff cutoff from roughly game 45 to 65. Currently, it's about 4 points above the playoff cutoff. So, I have no reason to doubt that the usual push will get the eighth-place team up into the 92-95 point range again.

If you look back at this post, you'll see that last year the "93-point pace" line bounced between 3 and 5 points above the playoff cutoff from roughly game 45 to 65. Currently, it's about 4 points above the playoff cutoff. So, I have no reason to doubt that the usual push will get the eighth-place team up into the 92-95 point range again.

I never understand that chart until just now. Pretty cool.

I never understand that chart until just now. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I like that one. It would be better if the NHL schedulers kept the GP from each team closer, as it is limited by the team with the fewest.

It is nice to see that those two wins helped gain back some of the cushion that they lost during that road slump.

The Bruins must be loving what's happening with the Maple Leafs right now. Not only are they looking at a top-pick in this Summer's draft (plus, a low 30's pick), but the Maple Leafs won't get that top pick to help them improve in the 2010-11 season, so that first-round pick could be real low, too.

Didn't know where else to put this, seemed like as good a place as any ... NJ just blew a 2-1 lead in the last 2 minutes to lose to L.A. 3-2 in regulation ... that certainly doesn't hurt ... home ice against NJ in the second round if the Sabres are fortunate enough to get there would be nice.

Didn't know where else to put this, seemed like as good a place as any ... NJ just blew a 2-1 lead in the last 2 minutes to lose to L.A. 3-2 in regulation ... that certainly doesn't hurt ... home ice against NJ in the second round if the Sabres are fortunate enough to get there would be nice.

I noted this elsewhere as well, but I'm really liking the Kings right now - they play hard and fast, and have the right amounts of skill in all positions.

Penguins chart reads like they are about to explode one way or the other. They have a 2 game win streak....if they beat MON tomorrow, I look for them to win another 3 out of 4....possibly pause for a few games then continue on upwards. My guess is they could win 11 or 12 out of 15.

Sabres look like they will take 0-2 points out of 6 headed to the break.

Tough read on many others....

Ottawa looks like they could win 2-3 more, then hit a wall and lose the next 3 or 4 of 5.

Washington is in uncharted territory

New Jersey is at a critical point.....if they lose a few, this is as good as they get....since they make the trade though and pull out a crazy win...they look more like a team that will take 7 out of every 10 points.

I love these charts! You just have to be patient and use them to your advantage when you see a chance. I took Carolina tonight because it looks like the real Sabres have come to the party, but after looking at these last night.....it got me a little cocky. Good job C+D as always!

Really. Ten points over 05-06 to 10 points under in no time.

Actually, it was just 5 over to 7 under, but still a big swing in just 11 games. What's amazing, though, is that the playoff gap hasn't narrowed all that much because the bubble teams keep losing, too. Pittsburgh and Ottawa have now become lumped with NJ and us, and Washington has run away from everyone, but otherwise things don't look all that different.

Updated with Olympic break points.

SDS actually offered to automate the charts, which I never took him up on. I kinda like doing it. :blush:

I don't mean automate, just keep it on page one of the Aud Club. If you like doing it, by all means indulge..

• 3 weeks later...

As you know.....I am not Mr. Positive.....but the chart is telling me the Sabres nosedive stops very soon.

They look poised to win 5 of their next 7-8 games. It is possible they just play uninspired .500 hockey from here on out, but they made such a big move early in the year that the talent should be there to bounce off this slump here and now.

Philly also looks prime to lose 3 of their next 4 or so. They are at a resistance level.

So.....after looking at the odds with the Sabres being -120, I am going out on a limb and suggesting tonight's game is a DD 5 star special.

Take the Sabres.....take them hard.

As much as I would love to see the organization in pure chaos......my wallet is more important than my sick pride.

Oh my god, you're over here making predictions too! I hope you're as wrong about this Sabres prediction as you were about all the other things you've predicted.

(LOVE LOVE LOVE the Miller lacks 3D vision thread.)

Don't worry: I'm not stalking you. Just pained me to see that you think the Sabres would pull out of the nosedive.

Archived