Darcy and the front office...what a joke!

SabreFan78

Are you kidding me?? Toronto picks up Francois Beauchemin and the Sens get Kovalev....meanwhile the Sabres have made 1 move that didn't even make them remotely better.

This team is going to be the cellar dweller of the division no doubt in my mind. Darcy likes to dangle carrots out in front out of everyone.... "we're looking for a puck moving d-man", "we're looking to make a trade"

BS, the only thing those morons are looking for is a sold out HSBC Arena 41 times between October and April. Buckle up, it's going to be a long season unless Darcy actually makes some kind of splash in the market....doubtful. Too bad that this very well could cost nice guy Lindy Ruff his job.

The season is over and it hasn't even started yet......PATHETIC

Are you kidding me?? Toronto picks up Francois Beauchemin and the Sens get Kovalev....meanwhile the Sabres have made 1 move that didn't even make them remotely better.

This team is going to be the cellar dweller of the division no doubt in my mind. Darcy likes to dangle carrots out in front out of everyone.... "we're looking for a puck moving d-man", "we're looking to make a trade"

BS, the only thing those morons are looking for is a sold out HSBC Arena 41 times between October and April. Buckle up, it's going to be a long season unless Darcy actually makes some kind of splash in the market....doubtful. Too bad that this very well could cost nice guy Lindy Ruff his job.

You wanted to pay $5 million for Kovalev? A lazy player who only shows up to one third of his games? He's a more talented Miro Satan for gods sake. The guy doesn't play any defense at all and never back checks. Yeah.... man Darcy blew that one!

As for Beuchemin.... 2 major injuries in past 3 years and the dude isn't getting any younger. And he isn't a puck moving d-men. Too much of a risk for the $$ IMO.

I doubt the Sens will be better than us this season. Kovalev doesn't solve there goalie problem. Toronto lacks offense,and the Habs are soft. But then again so are we.

Regardless whether he helps with their goalie problem, they do have a tendency to beat us/the sabres on a regular basis. Unless we play them in a re-occurring 06-07 playoffs mindset.

As much as I think Darcy is a joke of a GM, I will actually defend him a little bit here, he did come out before the start of FA and announce that he would not be making a splash and that he wasn't planning on making a big move since he believes that the current players are still "developing" and haven't reached their potentials yet. He also pretty much hinted at some trades after the first big wave of FA is over, later into the offseason.

Its too early to give up on them now, not even a week into FA, when they basically said they wouldn't be players at the start. Its never been their style to make a big splash. Darcy likes to rummage through the discount/clearance bins of FA after everything else has been ransacked and picked clean by the rest of the league.

As for the rest of the division, its too early to really tell with Montreal, although they are looking good. Boston has lost some decent players but I think they still have a good enough team to lead the division. Ottawa is still too early to tell too, it all depends on what happens with Heatley, although they may be better if they get a solid goalie who can compete for the starting job (Ottawa still has a way with beating Buffalo during the regular seasonm no matter how bad they are against the rest of the league). Toronto may not have gotten better talent wise, but they got a hell of alot tougher, and their strategy this season might be to just beat their opponents down and try to win some very ugly games. On paper, I would say all the teams in the division improved or atleast stayed the same, Buffalo on the other hand got slightly worse as i don't really think you can say they got better by subtraction.

As it stands, I don't see Buffalo competing for a playoff spot on the last couple of games before the end of the season, but I don't see them competing for the #1 overall pick, or locking up the basement of their division. If no more moves are made, it will be another long season of rollercoaster ups and downs and more disapointment and mediocrity

As much as I think Darcy is a joke of a GM, I will actually defend him a little bit here, he did come out before the start of FA and announce that he would not be making a splash and that he wasn't planning on making a big move since he believes that the current players are still "developing" and haven't reached their potentials yet. He also pretty much hinted at some trades after the first big wave of FA is over, later into the offseason.

Its too early to give up on them now, not even a week into FA, when they basically said they wouldn't be players at the start. Its never been their style to make a big splash. Darcy likes to rummage through the discount/clearance bins of FA after everything else has been ransacked and picked clean by the rest of the league.

As for the rest of the division, its too early to really tell with Montreal, although they are looking good. Boston has lost some decent players but I think they still have a good enough team to lead the division. Ottawa is still too early to tell too, it all depends on what happens with Heatley, although they may be better if they get a solid goalie who can compete for the starting job (Ottawa still has a way with beating Buffalo during the regular seasonm no matter how bad they are against the rest of the league). Toronto may not have gotten better talent wise, but they got a hell of alot tougher, and their strategy this season might be to just beat their opponents down and try to win some very ugly games. On paper, I would say all the teams in the division improved or atleast stayed the same, Buffalo on the other hand got slightly worse as i don't really think you can say they got better by subtraction.

As it stands, I don't see Buffalo competing for a playoff spot on the last couple of games before the end of the season, but I don't see them competing for the #1 overall pick, or locking up the basement of their division. If no more moves are made, it will be another long season of rollercoaster ups and downs and more disapointment and mediocrity

Im with you on this one.

I sincerely hope that these past two seasons have taught Darcy a lesson; never underestimate the importance of veteran leadership. Veteran leadership is so crucial to a hockey team. The Sabres have a very talented core, but without leadership, they'll always underachieve. We have a very talented young core, but unfortunately, leaders rarely just "spring up". Success breeds success; this team needs more veteran leaders to show these young kids the way. If Darcy fails to bring some character into this organization via a trade, I fear the entire core of the team will be forever stained. Failure breeds further failure; our players will lose confidence, and an entire generation of players will have to be discarded. These young players will not suddenly just "transform" and start winning. They need to be shown the way.

Character and leadership is a difficult thing to put a price tag on, but its crucial if you want a playoff contending team. Case in point: Bill Guerin on the Pens. As soon as Guerin arrived in Pittsburgh, his presence was undeniable. He took on the role of a de facto captain. Every time he was on the ice for the Pens, you could see how calm and collective he was. He made the plays that needed to be made on the ice, and I can only imagine how much his presence was felt in the locker room.

This is one of the biggest reasons I advocated bringing in players such as Mike Knuble and Jay McKee. Those are two prime examples of veteran leaders. No, they do not have razzle dazzle skill, but neither did Chris Drury. Its the work ethic and their effect on the players around them that make them so important to an organization. Jay McKee had the whole defense diving to block shots. Chris Drury had the boys hitting the gym after every practice, opening their eyes as to just how hard you need to train if you want to win. These are leaders.

Hopefully Darcy realizes this and is prepared to make a run at a leader that can turn these boys into men.

On a side note...Anyone see L.A. traded for Ryan Smyth? Now that's a very interesting trade. L.A. is in a similar position to the Sabres; a very talented young offensive core that has failed to achieve success. We'll see what kind of affects he has on the young boys in L.A.

BS, the only thing those morons are looking for

He also pretty much hinted at some trades after the first big wave of FA is over, later into the offseason.
Hopefully Darcy realizes this and is prepared to make a run at a leader that can turn these boys into men.

Everything I've heard and read this offseason has led me to believe there will be changes and then there is this:

It will become clear over the next couple of months whether the Sabres feel Myers is ready. General Manager Darcy Regier has said he's trying to make trades, and if a defenseman or two depart, it could mean there's room for Myers.

Linky

Does this mean we won't be hearing from you from now on?

I'm tired of hearing about Darcy Regier and his 'Core of Potential'. Considering Regier's track record with "potential", Max, Connolly and Kotalik for example, I wouldn't consider Regier any type of authority on "potential." This "core" that Regier has assembled is far from being considered young. It is extremely possible that this "core" has already reached full potential. Sometimes "potential" is never reached. So, here we are in another pointless off season leading nowhere hoping that even a minimal move is made to let us know that people are alive in the offices of the HSBC.

You wanted to pay $5 million for ---------- A lazy player who only shows up to one third of his games? He's a more talented Miro Satan for gods sake. The guy doesn't play any defense at all and never back checks. Yeah.... man Darcy blew that one!

As for ------------.... 2 major injuries in past 3 years and the dude isn't getting any younger. And he isn't a puck moving d-men. Too much of a risk for the $$ IMO.

Funny. Cross out the names and guess who you are describing? :thumbsup:

I'm tired of hearing about Darcy Regier and his 'Core of Potential'. Considering Regier's track record with "potential", Max, Connolly and Kotalik for example, I wouldn't consider Regier any type of authority on "potential." This "core" that Regier has assembled is far from being considered young. It is extremely possible that this "core" has already reached full potential. Sometimes "potential" is never reached. So, here we are in another pointless off season leading nowhere hoping that even a minimal move is made to let us know that people are alive in the offices of the HSBC.

As tired as everyone else is of hearing you regurgitate the same information in post after post?

I do my fair share of complaining here, but I don't have any problem with Darcy until I see the opening day roster. It's a long off-season.

I do my fair share of complaining here, but I don't have any problem with Darcy until I see the opening day roster. It's a long off-season.

No kidding. There were some interesting free agents out there, but very few were worth the money for which they were signed.

Drury was aquired in a late summer trade. Hopefully Regier will pull off similar trades to add veteren leadership and toughness to a team that has a core of 20 goal scorers and promising prospects on defense.

Darcy likes to rummage through the discount/clearance bins of FA after everything else has been ransacked and picked clean by the rest of the league.

Since when?

Oh, he likes to rummage. You didn't say anything about actually buying something.

Six years under Golisano, Darcy's signed how many free agents? Numminen, Spacek, a couple of scrub backup goalies, anyone else?

Last summer Bono, which was pretty cool.

As tired as everyone else is of hearing you regurgitate the same information in post after post?

Maybe you can come up with some type of tutorial to teach posters like myself how produce the same type of passionless and inane posts you have managed? Over 30,000 of between here and TBD? That's a whole lot of typing not to come up with anything interesting, even by accident.

While I agree with this whole-heartedly, doesn't this go against your theory that Lindy is an elite coach who has gotten the absolute most out of his players. How is it that other, not-so-elite, coaches can take their young talent and develop them into at least a playoff appearance club, but poor Lindy is given such bottom of the barrel refuse that he can only get them to 10th place. Why can't he bring out that potential. Year after year we've been hearing the same issues with the same players.

Maybe you can come up with some type of tutorial to teach posters like myself how produce the same type of passionless and inane posts you have managed? Over 30,000 of between here and TBD? That's a whole lot of typing not to come up with anything interesting, even by accident.

My posts are generated by a combination of Frisky's Gourmet and catnip spread over my keyboard. I have 17 cats. Well, 16. Miss Jenna Rhett passed away last night.

While I agree with this whole-heartedly, doesn't this go against your theory that Lindy is an elite coach who has gotten the absolute most out of his players. How is it that other, not-so-elite, coaches can take their young talent and develop them into at least a playoff appearance club, but poor Lindy is given such bottom of the barrel refuse that he can only get them to 10th place. Why can't he bring out that potential. Year after year we've been hearing the same issues with the same players.

It could be argued he has. What players that have left the Sabres system and have gone on to offensive success elsewhere? I can't think of any. When I see players that succeed once leaving Buffalo they tend to be blueliners. Ballard and Sarich come right to mind.

When it comes to Lindy Ruff I think of what he gets handed every year :

Max - I'm sure Lindy wanted him gone a long time ago.

#1 Center - again putting the burden on Connolly's health. I'm sure Lindy would prefer some more reliability at that position.

Backup goalie - I doubt scapping the dregs of the goalie free agent market is Lindy's idea.

Veteran Leadership - No coach wants to go into a season without it. Lindy, having played in the league for a while knows the value of it.

The current roster is deeply flawed. As good a coach I feel Lindy is I doubt he or any other current coach in the NHL could win with the roster as currently constituted.

Backup goalie - I doubt scapping the dregs of the goalie free agent market is Lindy's idea.

No matter the sieve they put between the pipes, Lindy needs to do a better job getting his backup playing time. Last year was supposed to be the year the Sabres finally gave Ryan Miller the rest his fraile waife like body needs. That lasted 2 weeks into the season. The backup gets put on the shelf, gets rusty, gets put back in, can't find a rhythm, loses games for the Sabres, gets put back on the shelf and only plays when Ryan Miller can hardly stand for the rest of the season.

It could be argued he has. What players that have left the Sabres system and have gone on to offensive success elsewhere? I can't think of any. When I see players that succeed once leaving Buffalo they tend to be blueliners. Ballard and Sarich come right to mind.

When it comes to Lindy Ruff I think of what he gets handed every year :

Max - I'm sure Lindy wanted him gone a long time ago.

#1 Center - again putting the burden on Connolly's health. I'm sure Lindy would prefer some more reliability at that position.

Veteran Leadership - No coach wants to go into a season without it. Lindy, having played in the league for a while knows the value of it.

The current roster is deeply flawed. As good a coach I feel Lindy is I doubt he or any other current coach in the NHL could win with the roster as currently constituted.

That's it IMO. You get some from Rivet, that's why the players picked him last year. You need that leadership, that mentoring from these vet players. No, not Lydman, not Tallinder.

If they're looking at bringing up Myers like they say they are, they need someone who plays that game to mentor him. Pronger said it best in his interview with the press yesterday. Myers can be the Pronger we want him to be but he's not gonna learn shite from tallinder.

Accountability among the players. Someone that has the balls to tell his best friend to get off his sorry ars and play some hockey.

Here's are chance. Toronto looking to trade kaberle apperently you said you were going to trade for a puck moving defence men so here it is Darcy. Do it. Kaberle for tallinder and lydman we dont need them anymore there just a waste of our cap room. Now sign koivu as a good 3nd or 3rd line center or trade hecht for someone better.

Stop being stupid and make us some moves that will get us to the play offs.

Here's are chance. Toronto looking to trade kaberle apperently you said you were going to trade for a puck moving defence men so here it is Darcy. Do it. Kaberle for tallinder and lydman we dont need them anymore there just a waste of our cap room. Now sign koivu as a good 3nd or 3rd line center or trade hecht for someone better.

Stop being stupid and make us some moves that will get us to the play offs.

Do you really think Toronto will take Tallinder and Lydman for Kaberle? If they are a waste of our cap room, why would the Leafs take them?

Archived