GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Then a line of Afinogenov and two vet forwards (Guerin/ Weight/ Tkachuk, Halpren, etc) should be brought in . Ship a couple of the Portland defenders out (Card or Funk).

What do you think you are going to get for a couple of concussion prone, average to below average prospects like Card and Funk? You sure you don't want to throw Dylan Hunter into the mix while you are at it?

PS The Sabres have no business acquiring rental players(especially at their price) in a year where IMO they are not cup contenders.

What do you think you are going to get for a couple of concussion prone, average to below average prospects like Card and Funk? You sure you don't want to throw Dylan Hunter into the mix while you are at it?

PS The Sabres have no business acquiring rental players(especially at their price) in a year where IMO they are not cup contenders.

I agree with Blue. I also its time to sell of some deadweight here. Move some players get rid of salary grab some picks. Make shrewd moves in the offseason with the 2nd tier FA. Its not like Connolly, Spacek, Kotalik, Max and Tallinder are really keeping this team in "the hunt".

the sabres are in the playoffs at this point. they could end up in th 4th position. all maybes.

no way they deal for picks -- in a fire sale. this club faield to make the playoff last season -- and could be dangerous if they bring in a few of the right types of players. hang in there -- a few trades next week, and these guys might make some hay (and that is if miller adn vanek come back within 10 games)

The Sabres need more talent across the board. Bringing in a couple of vets won't put the Sabres into the playoffs at this point. The Sabres should be looking to the future at this point. What they need to do is start cleaning house. Connolly, Spacek, Kotalik, Max and Tallinder should all be moved. All, with the exception of Max, should have value to playoff teams looking to make a run. Connolly and Kotalik can help teams on the power play. Spacek and Tallinder both have a great deal of playoff experience which is valuable come playoff time.

It's time to put away the pom-poms and take a serious realistic look at where the team stands right now. They have players that don't fit into the long term plans. This is a good time to take the hit and move out players whose value may never be as high as it is right now or may be lost to free agency. The Sabres have a chance to load up on prospects and picks. They should keep an eye towards the future and make the deals.

who really is a cup contender other than the Caps, sharks and Wings? Any team could win a few series --- come on man.

hunter is gone next week -- his contract is up and he wants out.

no one would say this club has the right mix for a cup run -- but they could get far in a WEAK east (wales) division.

hang in there man --- keep optimistic...

who really is a cup contender other than the Caps, sharks and Wings? Any team could win a few series --- come on man.

hunter is gone next week -- his contract is up and he wants out.

no one would say this club has the right mix for a cup run -- but they could get far in a WEAK east (wales) division.

hang in there man --- keep optimistic...

So you want to mortgage the future in picks or prospects(not turds like Card & Funk) so that you can maybe win a series or two? Do you have any idea what the price tag is going to be for players like Tkachuk and Guerin?

no team is perfect. this club is to inconsistant to win a cup -- i think that is clear, even to a novice fan. but they will make some trades and they have stockpiles of prospects to deal off this season. i expect miller to come back and vanek -- along with a few HUGE trades for vet wingers and a faceoff taking centerman.

Ruff is a hell of a coach and this club will make the playoffs and try to steal a few series...i think this is reasonable.

I really hope that the FO doesn't read this site. I don't want them to give up on this season yet and think it's okay because the fans have.

I agree with Blue. I also its time to sell of some deadweight here. Move some players get rid of salary grab some picks. Make shrewd moves in the offseason with the 2nd tier FA. Its not like Connolly, Spacek, Kotalik, Max and Tallinder are really keeping this team in "the hunt".

I'm not crazy about going after a lot of picks at this point. We need to look for guys that could be on the roster as improvements next year. We don't have anyone that will command an early first-round pick (and those teams will be sellers not buyers, anyway) and any other picks won't translate into players for several years. Darcy needs to look for one of his diamonds-in-the-rough trades like he did with Briere and Drury back in the day. Trade someone who can help a team now for an up-and-coming center that another team is uncertain about whether he will fit in their plans. For example (and I haven't seen him enough to know if he's a good one, but am showing this more as an example of the type of situation), Calgary may be looking to move Matthew Lombardi as he is sitting behind Langkow and Cammalleri (assuming that they re-sign him) in their center depth-chart. Could he be a #2 center next year? He has one year left on his contract at $1.817/$2.350 million in cap/salary. Again, just a quick example.

Funny side note: I laughed at Toni's response when Bucky asked him what happened on that play (the first one): "Uh ... I gave the puck away and they scored." For some reason, that cracked me up.

We have average offense, average defense, average special teams (a bad PP and a good PK, makes for average special teams in my book).

Actually, both our PP and PK are currently ranked 7th. Take a look:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetch...iewName=summary

I could see why anyone would perceive the PP as bad.... it can be inconsistent at times (1-for-12 followed by 3-for-6 two days later), but I think we've been good enough (not great).

Actually, both our PP and PK are currently ranked 7th. Take a look:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetch...iewName=summary

I could see why anyone would perceive the PP as bad.... it can be inconsistent at times (1-for-12 followed by 3-for-6 two days later), but I think we've been good enough (not great).

Would you consider a 16 game stretch inconsistent?

http://forums.sabrespace.com/index.php?showtopic=14739

the sabres are in the playoffs at this point. they could end up in th 4th position. all maybes.

no way they deal for picks -- in a fire sale. this club faield to make the playoff last season -- and could be dangerous if they bring in a few of the right types of players. hang in there -- a few trades next week, and these guys might make some hay (and that is if miller adn vanek come back within 10 games)

Is the goal to make the playoffs this year or to build a Cup contender that makes the playoffs every year? Are you willing to let assets go at the season with no return? Where will the Sabres be next season? Great they stayed in it till the end but the players are gone and have nothing to show for it.

You must be new the Sabres if you think Regier is going to make deals to bring in "a few of the right types." It's not his style and he already said he won't be in the rent-a-player market when interviewed on WGR a few weeks back.

The prize is the Stanley Cup not a token appearance in the playoffs.

mortgage the future? this club has a ton of prospects now -- they are deep on defense (literally 8 solid prospects) and not bad up front (with high ranked scoring playmakers). so there are plently of guys to move. and i never worry about dealing a 1st rounder. in the nHL -- a first rounder is not like in the NFL. it takes 4 seasons to see these kids develop and they sometimes never make it (see heisten, david cooper, etc, etc). so, yeah, i have no problem trying to deal and make the team better, in light of the number of good prospects and health of the youth movement they have established.

the sens just traded a first for comrie and campoli. so yea, i know exatly how much guerin or tkachuk would cost. tehir salaries are prorated -- so any salary concerns are divided by the remaining lengh of games left in the season. they are rentals --- so what? you want to see playoff hockey?

and BTW, card and funk are very young still and both have a lot of experience playing pro hockey. they are sweatners in any deal.

So you want to mortgage the future in picks or prospects(not turds like Card & Funk) so that you can maybe win a series or two? Do you have any idea what the price tag is going to be for players like Tkachuk and Guerin?

Is the goal to make the playoffs this year or to build a Cup contender that makes the playoffs every year? Are you willing to let assets go at the season with no return? Where will the Sabres be next season? Great they stayed in it till the end but the players are gone and have nothing to show for it.

You must be new the Sabres if you think Regier is going to make deals to bring in "a few of the right types." It's not his style and he already said he won't be in the rent-a-player market when interviewed on WGR a few weeks back.

The prize is the Stanley Cup not a token appearance in the playoffs.

But but but...what if DR can trade Card and Funk for Guerin or Tkachuk? :nana:

the sens just traded a first for comrie and campoli.

The first-round pick was the Shark's so it will likely be a 25-30 position pick. Part of the extra price was Campoli's cheap salary/cap next year, which most rental players don't come with. Also, in order for the Islanders to forgo the bidding war that will occur in this final week before the deadline, the Sens had to give them a deal that they couldn't pass up.

However, there are going to be so few true sellers this year that prices will likely get a little ridiculous for some players.

lol, that would be hilarious...

stranger things have happened...

if i was DR i would trade for gratton and then ship him off to some club for the 3rd overal pick in the draft and a hall of fame center (see dumont and killer gilmour)

But but but...what if DR can trade Card and Funk for Guerin or Tkachuk? :nana:

agreed. look, everyone wants to follow the capitals footprint. they built with kids. OV helps. :)

but that is the calder cup team that will not go after the stanley cup. the sabres are in a differnt position, they have a core of playoff vets who need a push. they have some playmakers but just need a tweek or two, some peppering of a few vets into the lineup.

The first-round pick was the Shark's so it will likely be a 25-30 position pick. Part of the extra price was Campoli's cheap salary/cap next year, which most rental players don't come with. Also, in order for the Islanders to forgo the bidding war that will occur in this final week before the deadline, the Sens had to give them a deal that they couldn't pass up.

However, there are going to be so few true sellers this year that prices will likely get a little ridiculous for some players.

the sens just traded a first for comrie and campoli. so yea, i know exatly how much guerin or tkachuk would cost. tehir salaries are prorated -- so any salary concerns are divided by the remaining lengh of games left in the season. they are rentals --- so what? you want to see playoff hockey?

I'm not talking about salaries. Just what a team would have to give up to get the cream of the crop rentals. Any team who is acquiring higher-end rentals to just make the playoffs or win a series should have their GM fired on the spot.

:wallbash:

when you wrote "what the price tag is going to be for players" i thought you meant salary = "price tag".

those 8 defense prospects are:

funk

persson

butler

gragnani

brennan

butler

myers

weber

the guy who might be the best of them all is vyateslav buravchikov -- he has all the tools.

I'm not talking about salaries. Just what a team would have to give up to get the cream of the crop rentals. Any team who is acquiring higher-end rentals to just make the playoffs or win a series should have their GM fired on the spot.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to drop prospects for rentals just to make it into the final eight.

If you're just squeezing in, you should be looking to improve on that next year, not focus on playoff success at all costs this year.

And wasn't Tkachuk a rental with Atlanta when they got murdered by a very average Rangers team?

when you wrote "what the price tag is going to be for players" i thought you meant salary = "price tag".

those 8 defense prospects are:

funk

persson

butler

gragnani

brennan

butler

myers

weber

the guy who might be the best of them all is vyateslav buravchikov -- he has all the tools.

Funk isn't a prospect at all. Persson is killing his development with another year in the Finnish leagues where he rides the pine 3/4 of the time. Gragnani doesn't know how to play defense. At this point from what I've read, Scheistel is a better blueline prospect than these 3.

PS I didn't know you were going to count Butler twice in your top 8. :oops:

Archived