GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Typical Sabres game.

Yes it was. Going back practically the entire tenure of Lindy Ruff. I still want to know how this guy gets a pass. Coaches in any sport are ALWAYS blamed when their teams aren't ready to play on a regular basis. Lindy yelling on the bench is rich. He's the parent who can't discipline his kids who resorts to verbal berating. He probably smacks them around when the media isn't in the room.

With all this nonsense and no championships in sight, I'd have to think that this is Jeanerette's last year. I was listening to his CD Roll the Highlight Film (!) he was of course younger but so much more enthusiastic about the skills of the Sabres top players. He went crazy with incredible plays by players like Mogilny, Andreychuk and even Rob Ray. But now it seems like our best players don't do the spectacular anymore, certainly not as often. they're not as skilled. What a difference two years makes.

I haven't read all 11 pages of posts... but I think Butler played a HORRIBLE game last night, probably his worst. No one played well, except Miller and Lalime, but Butler was very bad.

he'll bounce back... but I think we should scratch Hecht for a game, Paille didn't show me anything that makes him stay in the lineup and MacArthur hasn't shown me anything in a while. maybe get Paetsch back playing wing to generate some spark... but boy do we need Vanek.

I think they need Robie to get in some guys faces for their dumb plays, I love when Robie shows the bonehead plays in between periods... "stick check, stick check, stick check, TAKE THE BODY! you learn that when you're 2 years old!!!" My wife was quoting him last night, she thought he was hilarious... and even she said we looked like we didn't try, it was an ugly game. Robie also pointed out several dumb plays with the puck, I'm sure Ruff points this stuff out to them but I wonder if the players know that the fans are seeing how poor their decisions and effort looked. (not saying it would matter to a millionaire what we think, but I like to think it would/should)

I'm guessing this is a snide, thinly veiled attempt at a Briere/Drury mention. Perhaps, when I'm worm food, this God foresaken topic will go away.

It has nothing to do with Drury and Briere. Yes Drury was my favorite player while he was here. And if its my sig that sparked the notion,i merely wanted to have a sig that captured a great moment in sabres history. There hasn't been many as of late.

The lack of leadership goes farther than just the losses of Drury and Briere. Mike Griere,J.P. Dumont,Jay Mc Kee,Brian Campbell all expressed themselves in the locker room. And all did there fair share of keeping the team together. I think if just 2 of these guys were still here,the locker room would not be in such disarray.

The one thing I can't stand about this team is that after that win on Friday, I KNEW I just KNEW they would come out and play a crap game against Carolina. That game meant so much in the standings and only Carolina realized it. How the HELL do you come out and play a game like that?? It is fine if they lose but not like that....these guys are pros for Christ sake

Yes it was. Going back practically the entire tenure of Lindy Ruff. I still want to know how this guy gets a pass. Coaches in any sport are ALWAYS blamed when their teams aren't ready to play on a regular basis. Lindy yelling on the bench is rich. He's the parent who can't discipline his kids who resorts to verbal berating. He probably smacks them around when the media isn't in the room.

Lets go totally overboard because of a loss............ :thumbsup:

Lets go totally overboard because of a loss............ :thumbsup:

A type of loss that is far to common with this team. It's one thing to get beat. It happens to every team. It's another to not even compete. The Sabres have done that three of the last for games and probably 20 times over the past two seasons. That my friend is a sign of a greater problem in which there is no apparent cause or cure. I feel Lindy is at this point like Dr House. He is trying everything he can to cure this team before the playoff hopes die. I just hope like the series he has his epiphany in just the nick of time to save this teams playoff hopes.

I haven't read all 11 pages of posts... but I think Butler played a HORRIBLE game last night, probably his worst. No one played well, except Miller and Lalime, but Butler was very bad.

he'll bounce back... but I think we should scratch Hecht for a game, Paille didn't show me anything that makes him stay in the lineup and MacArthur hasn't shown me anything in a while. maybe get Paetsch back playing wing to generate some spark... but boy do we need Vanek.

I think they need Robie to get in some guys faces for their dumb plays, I love when Robie shows the bonehead plays in between periods... "stick check, stick check, stick check, TAKE THE BODY! you learn that when you're 2 years old!!!" My wife was quoting him last night, she thought he was hilarious... and even she said we looked like we didn't try, it was an ugly game. Robie also pointed out several dumb plays with the puck, I'm sure Ruff points this stuff out to them but I wonder if the players know that the fans are seeing how poor their decisions and effort looked. (not saying it would matter to a millionaire what we think, but I like to think it would/should)

For two shifts straight all I did was yell "hit - him" "hit - him". Every time a Carolina player got the puck they were allowed to carry it around. Hit somebody, throw off the play. I don't want to look back at this game and say "that was the one" but it may be.

A type of loss that is far to common with this team. It's one thing to get beat. It happens to every team. It's another to not even compete. The Sabres have done that three of the last for games and probably 20 times over the past two seasons. That my friend is a sign of a greater problem in which there is no apparent cause or cure. I feel Lindy is at this point like Dr House. He is trying everything he can to cure this team before the playoff hopes die. I just hope like the series he has his epiphany in just the nick of time to save this teams playoff hopes.

I agree that he needs some new pieces for this team to take it to the next level...........But I truly believe that Lindy is not the problem, in fact I would hate to see this team without Lindy at the helm............Of course Vanek and Gaustad are very important parts of this team.

:lol:

On another note... I am getting tired of Lindy mismanaging his goalies.

:wallbash: :wallbash:

That's worth mentioning. If some of us internet folks figured out that the Sabres needed to start Lalime well before the game, why did it take Ruff 20 minutes? We can go back to the thread from the beginning of the season; we all knew that Ruff needed to stick to a rigid schedule of every fourth, or maybe fifth game. Didn't do it. As a result, we saw a tired Miller during the Ottawa shootout last week, and a tired Miller in the San Jose game, and no, that's not why the Sabres were down 2-0 to Carolina, but still. Give the guy some rest, even if he's demanding to start. Lindy Ruff is one hell of a hockey coach, even though he doesn't have the budget for players that some other teams have. But he's got to get better with managing his goaltenders.

That's worth mentioning. If some of us internet folks figured out that the Sabres needed to start Lalime well before the game, why did it take Ruff 20 minutes? We can go back to the thread from the beginning of the season; we all knew that Ruff needed to stick to a rigid schedule of every fourth, or maybe fifth game. Didn't do it. As a result, we saw a tired Miller during the Ottawa shootout last week, and a tired Miller in the San Jose game, and no, that's not why the Sabres were down 2-0 to Carolina, but still. Give the guy some rest, even if he's demanding to start. Lindy Ruff is one hell of a hockey coach, even though he doesn't have the budget for players that some other teams have. But he's got to get better with managing his goaltenders.

Starting Lalime would have motivated this team to show up? Lindy is playing his #1 goalie because he his in a playoff race and wants to make the the playoffs. This team can't afford to play Lalime and give more points away. The problem isn't the goaltending. The problem is with the 18 guys upfront who either don't have the talent or the heart to compete every night in the NHL. If the other 18 guys would show up a little more often the Sabres would have the breathing room to risk a few points here and there.

Starting Lalime would have motivated this team to show up? Lindy is playing his #1 goalie because he his in a playoff race and wants to make the the playoffs. This team can't afford to play Lalime and give more points away. The problem isn't the goaltending. The problem is with the 18 guys upfront who either don't have the talent or the heart to compete every night in the NHL. If the other 18 guys would show up a little more often the Sabres would have the breathing room to risk a few points here and there.

You're missing the forest for the trees, which may be why you selected one sentence to pick on.

Maybe, just this once, it's lupus.

You're missing the forest for the trees, which may be why you selected one sentence to pick on.

Your premise is that Lalime should play more, correct? What have you seen in Miller's play that would indicate he is over burdened? The Sabres didn't lose to the Sens because Miller was tired. They lost to the Sens because the Sabres didn't bother to show up. Miller couldn't have been too tired against the Sharks, he stopped 4 out of 5 in the shootout. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. If anyone is looking at Miller as maybe a reason this team is going sour you're missing the real problem.

Your premise is that Lalime should play more, correct? What have you seen in Miller's play that would indicate he is over burdened? The Sabres didn't lose to the Sens because Miller was tired. They lost to the Sens because the Sabres didn't bother to show up. Miller couldn't have been too tired against the Sharks, he stopped 4 out of 5 in the shootout. Talk about missing the forest for the trees. If anyone is looking at Miller as maybe a reason this team is going sour you're missing the real problem.

I don't think anyone is realistically looking at Miller as a reason the team is going sour. I think most of us are looking at what happened last year, when Miller wilted badly down the stretch, and are afraid that it's going to happen again this year. If the Sabres ride Miller to get into the playoffs, how much is he going to have in the tank when the real season starts? You have to gamble two points here or there during the season to give your franchise goalie a chance to recharge the batteries and get a night of physical and mental rest. Maybe the Carolina game wasn't the right time for Lalime. I can agree with that, being a proverbial 4-point game. But Lindy's got to find some nights to get Ryan some rest.

Give him a quality backup and maybe he'll do a lot better. When Darcy continues to go to the bottom of the free agent goalie bargain bin what is Lindy to do?

A quality backup usually wants to be the starter. ;) ;)

They had Marty.

Anyway, IMO, I don't think a quality back-up can even flourish under his management which I believe is not fair (Lindy's way of managing his goalies) to that goalie.

Again... Just my opinion.

I don't know what the deal is with all this talk about the goaltending. First, Lalime was absolutely fantastic last night, and single handedly was the only reason this team even had a chance in the second and third periods. Additionally, I can't say Miller is to blame either for the loss even though he gave up the first two goals. Lalime is not the problem and neither is Miller. But, if we are going to make this a topic on backup goalies, I will go on record as saying I wish Darcy had signed Alex Auld instead of Lalime, but regardless, Lalime was absolutely fantastic last night. It's too bad none of the Sabres skaters took advantage of the wonderful performance from Lalime to actually try and do something to win the game.

It's the lack of heart, intensity, and passion that these guys have. To my recollection, these types of listless efforts have been with this team since the 2006-2007 season, this isn't just this year or last year. For some reason, this team regularly just doesn't show up for games, only difference was in 2006-2007, they had so much talent that they had a switch they could turn on to come back from being 2 goals down in a game. Remember that season the Sabres had the most come from behind wins, especially from 2 goals down. Why were they in that position in the first place? Because they didn't show up for the first two periods. Slow starts have been a chronic problem for this team for going on 3 years now, and I just don't understand why. Certainly missing Gaustad and Vanek are part of it, but this team has enough talent to beat anyone in the league yet they come out so listless so frequently, it's so damn frustrating.

Archived