GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

This feels like one of those intermissions where Lindy needs to go apeshit and kick over a table.

If Lindy kicked the crap out of a table, he would certainly have exerted more effort than 95% of his team! Lazy effort tonight! They could have really made it tough for Carolia to steal the 8th spot! This is the sort of night where Vanek might have scored a goal and jump started this team!

I admit that I am generally more emotionally vested in this team than I logically should be. I don't play on the team, I don't coach it and I can't change the roster. However, I usually am just in a bad move after a loss. Tonight was the most pissed that I have ever felt and, on top of that, I was almost nauseous with the feeling of helplessness. Such a great opportunity standings-wise and I was watching it just go down the tubes with not a damn thing I could do about it. Time to step back and take a breath ...

Yup, right back to 2007-08:

post-1053-1234750550_thumbjpg

(Net of roughly a playoff -- 93 point -- pace.)

Game thoughts...

- My curse continues. I've gone to 9 games including tonight...1-8. It is like a bad nightmare. :angry:

- Yes Ward played well, but except for the great save on Connolly and a couple of other nice saves, it was a routine night of work.

-Carolina lost twice at home in the last three nights(including last night) by a combined score of 10-1, but they come in here and dominate us. !

-The 3rd and 4th lines were completely useless tonight.

-The Sabres play in their own zone while 5 on 5 was pitiful. There were more than a few times where Carolina was playing keep away with the puck and the Sabres stood around watching them. They continue to suck in their own end and it is not just the defensemen.

-Another PP against. What happened to the team that was dominate when killing penalties.

-This game was a wake up call to anyone who thought the Sabres have a chance in the wide open east.

-Nice game by Lalime in relief.

-I thought Gerbe and Roy played well offensively(as well as you can play when getting shutout).

-Kotalik and Hecht...Just make both of them disappear.

-If I'm DR, I step up my efforts to make a trade....TONIGHT!

If Lindy kicked the crap out of a table, he would certainly have exerted more effort than 95% of his team! Lazy effort tonight! They could have really made it tough for Carolia to steal the 8th spot! This is the sort of night where Vanek might have scored a goal and jump started this team!

If Lindy did that, he'd probably scare the girls out of their knickers. Perhaps that's what REALLY happened with Miller.

:ph34r:

I was there too...but my record is 3-2-1.

Gotta give Carolina a little credit, they played desperate hockey. The Sabres had a classic letdown game after the San Jose victory which I enjoyed very much on Friday.

I expect them to hammer the Leafs (who are probably feeling good about themselves after beating Pittsburgh on Saturday so they should be ripe if we are pissed off enough and play with the same hustle Carolina showed tonight. Goose will be back Thursday to hopfully light a fire under the passengers tonight. 47 shots against at home is ridiculous. We need a tighter checking road game Tuesday. Hopefully Montreal loses tonight so at least we don't lose ground to either Florida, the Rangers or them.

-The 3rd and 4th lines were completely useless tonight.

Can't say that I had much of a problem with Ellis, Mair, and Kaleta. Add Lalime to that small list.

I can say I had a problem with Hecht, Connolly, Pominville, MacArthur, Paille, Kotalik, Spacek, Sekera, and Miller tonight, though.

I'm all for trading Spacek, Connolly, MacArthur and Kotalik away today. Right now.

Can't say that I had much of a problem with Ellis, Mair, and Kaleta. Add Lalime to that small list.

I can say I had a problem with Hecht, Connolly, Pominville, MacArthur, Paille, Kotalik, Spacek, Sekera, and Miller tonight, though.

I'm all for trading Spacek, Connolly, MacArthur and Kotalik away today. Right now.

Really? Miller?

Really? Miller?

Yup. I think Miller is too hung up on being hit right now. Can't say I blame him, but he's letting it affect his game. Honestly, if I were him the next time he gets run I would just haul off and pound the offender.

Some of us know this team better than others.

Oh, I know you were just waiting for the chance to shove that back in my face. However, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt - you guys were calling the game before it was played. There was only a 50% chance you were correct.

Yup. I think Miller is too hung up on being hit right now. Can't say I blame him, but he's letting it affect his game. Honestly, if I were him the next time he gets run I would just haul of and pound the offender.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you said you had a problem with Miller tonight, though. I thought he played pretty solid, and didn't see him getting worked up over scrums around his crease.

The Sabres came out really flat tonight. They had no energy, no passion, and no desperation in the first period. Carolina completely dominated play. But, to their credit, Cam Ward was really hot tonight and even when the Sabres got good shots on goal, he made the save. Lalime was fantastic tonight, although Miller was not really at fault for the two goals and the Oley defense they played on Staal on Larose's goal. And the one goal Lalime gave up, I'm not sure it should have counted anyway as I think he froze the puck. By the way, is it just me or did anyone else hear a whistle just before Staal catches the puck and scores his goal? I swear I heard a whistle, and I feel like the Sabres stopped playing because of it as I noticed Miller look at the referee thinking play had stopped because he heard a whistle, and I swear I heard one too.

So, here's something that is really concerning me. The PK has been absolutely awful over the last 4-5 games. They've given up 6 PP goals on 11 chances, and Larose's goal was basically a PP goal as Carolina had an extra attacker on the ice as Buffalo would have been called for a penalty. So, the Sabres basically gave up another 2 PP goals tonight (even though Larose goal technically does not count as one), and this is supposed to be a PK that's ranked 5th in the NHL. What happened to the PK? I don't get it at all. I know Gaustad's out, but everyone else who plays the PK has been playing the PK all season and why has it become so putrid so recently?

Labatt, it's time to stop going to Sabres games. Your luck is absolutely awful.

I guess I'm just confused as to why you said you had a problem with Miller tonight, though. I thought he played pretty solid, and didn't see him getting worked up over scrums around his crease.

I didn't like his game; I thought he looked progressively shaky and was getting pissed. Can't blame him as he is human, but on the other hand he needed to be in better control of where his head was at.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt

I think Slipknot said it best:

People=#%^$#!

Seriously though, just looking at their resume the last couple of years. They are mentally softer than cotton. I can't remember a sports team so fragile. Whoever is at the heart of their fortitude, should be traded, cut or sent down immediately. I don't know if it's Miller, Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Kotalik or whoever. Darcy better rid this team of this cancer and get some mentally tough players in return.

Yup. I think Miller is too hung up on being hit right now. Can't say I blame him, but he's letting it affect his game. Honestly, if I were him the next time he gets run I would just haul off and pound the offender.

Did you watch the game? Hecht sets up the first goal and Kotalik, Teppo and Sekera looked pathetic on the second where Miller had no chance. There was nothing tonight to indicate that Miller's mind was on anything else.

Goaltending was the least of the Sabres problems tonight. This loss falls on the 18 guys that were supposed to be playing in front of him. Not one of them can say they earned their paycheck tonight.

Did you watch the game? Hecht sets up the first goal and Kotalik, Teppo and Sekera looked pathetic on the second where Miller had no chance. There was nothing tonight to indicate that Miller's mind was on anything else.

Goaltending was the least of the Sabres problems tonight. This loss falls on the 18 guys that were supposed to be playing in front of him. Not one of them can say they earned their paycheck tonight.

Thank you.

I think Slipknot said it best:

People=#%^$#!

Seriously though, just looking at their resume the last couple of years. They are mentally softer than cotton. I can't remember a sports team so fragile. Whoever is at the heart of their fortitude, should be traded, cut or sent down immediately. I don't know if it's Miller, Roy, Pominville, Hecht, Kotalik or whoever. Darcy better rid this team of this cancer and get some mentally tough players in return.

Agreed completely. Earlier in the season when they were down I said nearly the same thing - something is wrong in the locker room. I think Pominville, Kotalik and Lydman may be likely sources. Pominville because he's all talk; on the ice he's as soft as they come. Kotalik and Lydman have similar passive-aggressive attitudes. Who knows. Well, I bet Lindy knows.

I forgot to add: before the game when you guys were already sticking a fork in it, I wanted to see first if Friday's game had any affect on them. All the elements were there to turn the tide.

I nearly agree completely. I'm just pissed. At the time I thought Miller should have been "better" on those - but reviewing the plays that's asking too much. The matter of him being run and its affect on his game stem from the Sharks game which I was too happy to ignore at the time.

Roy

I don't think it's Roy. I've seen him have games where he played badly -- trying to do too much with the puck, stickhandling through 1-on-4's, firing the puck wide, etc. -- but you rarely see him take a game off. If anything, sometimes it seems he cares too much (yelling a refs, etc.)

Personally, I blame Connolly. So many games it seemed like the guy just didn't show up ... :ph34r:

Agreed completely. Earlier in the season when they were down I said nearly the same thing - something is wrong in the locker room. I think Pominville, Kotalik and Lydman may be likely sources. Pominville because he's all talk; on the ice he's as soft as they come. Kotalik and Lydman have similar passive-aggressive attitudes. Who knows. Well, I bet Lindy knows.

I forgot to add: before the game when you guys were already sticking a fork in it, I wanted to see first if Friday's game had any affect on them. All the elements were there to turn the tide.

I nearly agree completely. I'm just pissed. At the time I thought Miller should have been "better" on those - but reviewing the plays that's asking too much. The matter of him being run and its affect on his game stem from the Sharks game which I was too happy to ignore at the time.

Miller has been getting run regularly since he arrived in Buffalo. It should bother him. It should bother him even more the Sabres don't have enough players with the sack to do something about it. Right now they have one, Rivet, and he doesn't respond as often as I would like to see. Protecting teammates, especially your goalie, should be every players first reaction.

Miller getting run is just another reason this team is just isn't fun for me right now. They are soft physically and mentally and they don't have nearly enough talent to overcome those deficiencies. There are only two reasons why the Sabres are currently in a playoff spot. Vanek was hot early and Miller has been hot recently. They have gotten very little from the rest of the team. I can't think of one other player that I can say is having a good year. I am more convinced now, having witnessed this past stretch of games, that the Sabres need to be prepared to move players over the next few weeks and try to accumulate as many prospects and picks as they can. Even if it costs them a playoff spot this season. The makeup of this team needs a drastic change. There are too many players on this roster that just don't care night in and night out. They need to be weeded out before they infect the younger players that will joining the team over the next few seasons.

Archived