GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

It's a killer to watch guys like Neil & Ruutu have their way with us and nothing happen to them. I did like Rivet's attitude when he took on Phillips & Kelly, but I can live with a suspension if someone like Peters, Kaleta (whenever he comes back), or Mair takes their own cheap shot on Neil.

I was pretty satisfied with Spacek nailing Ruutu in the nuts with his stick (which they also showed on SportsCenter.) It was subtle, funny and, while it won't take him out of the lineup, not much hurts more. I'd give him the pigeon just for that.

Speaking of Neil and cheap shots, I haven't seen another replay his elbow on Gaustad last night. Even though the refs missed it, that should be looked at for suspension, too.

I was pretty satisfied with Spacek nailing Ruutu in the nuts with his stick (which they also showed on SportsCenter.) It was subtle, funny and, while it won't take him out of the lineup, not much hurts more. I'd give him the pigeon just for that.

Speaking of Neil and cheap shots, I haven't seen another replay his elbow on Gaustad last night. Even though the refs missed it, that should be looked at for suspension, too.

Schubert passed wind on the way past the Sabres bench. Suspend him! Come on carp, that elbow wasn't much. I don't think we should water down suspension talk this much.

It's always possible Peters was, uh, embellishing.

That was my initial impression. I don't doubt that it happened, but his reaction seemed to be a bit theatric. Of course, I've never had a grown man bite my thumb, so it's hard for me to gauge whether or not that response was appropriate. On the other hand, Peters must've gone into that altercation expecting his face to be Ruutu's primary target. If the pain wasn't enough, the shock of having his thumb gnawed instead probably was enough to warrant such a display.

Now... I am shocked no one caught one of the all time NHL officiating boners. After the review of Roy's goal, the ref explained that there was no distinct kicking motion.

Yeah, why was that even an issue? Was the puck not directed in by an Ottawa skate?

Schubert passed wind on the way past the Sabres bench. Suspend him! Come on carp, that elbow wasn't much. I don't think we should water down suspension talk this much.

Like I said, I didn't see enough of a replay. I can't really say if it should or shouldn't be a suspension, but it looked like he went for an intentional elbow to the head, which Gaustad was slow to get up from (I doubt that the check itself did that.) Neil is also known for cheap shots. Maybe a better replay would show that it really wasn't bad, but it certainly could have been as bad as other elbows to the head, even unpenalized ones, that resulted in suspensions.

That was my initial impression. I don't doubt that it happened, but his reaction seemed to be a bit theatric. Of course, I've never had a grown man bite my thumb, so it's hard for me to gauge whether or not that response was appropriate. On the other hand, Peters must've gone into that altercation expecting his face to be Ruutu's primary target. If the pain wasn't enough, the shock of having his thumb gnawed instead probably was enough to warrant such a display.

I think of two things that make me believe that he was not embellishing:

1) Having hit my thumbnail with hammer on more than one occasion, I know how much that hurts and his reaction was very consistent. You shake your hand/arm violently, look at it, then shake it again. It continues to hurt a lot for a bit and then just stops. After which, your nail turns black and sometimes (not for me, yet) falls off.

2) I have a 15 lbs cockapoo that likes to take towels in her teeth and shake it violently after a getting dried off. One time, she didn't wait until I was done and chomped down on the towel right where my thumb was. It was the sharpest pain that I have ever felt (she has mouthed/nipped a couple of times before when scared and this was completely different) and continued to feel like she was still biting long after she had let go. I was doing the shake, look, shake, look ... thing for a while.

Not that this is probably relevant to anything but did anyone else notice that they were wearing their alternate/third helmets with the primary homes uni's last night? Just makes me go hmmmmm....

Giving away the answer here, but ...

http://sabresnotslugs.blogspot.com/2009/01...s-not-slug.html

Yeah, I noticed. :thumbsup:

Probably nothing as they play in their thirds on Friday against the Rangers. Maybe the equipment guys got sicked of changing them. I also noticed when they showed Rivet practicing earlier this week in a story about his return that he had the third sticker, while other players had the slug.

Yeah, why was that even an issue? Was the puck not directed in by an Ottawa skate?

I'm not going to bother searching the rulebook, but I'm pretty sure that the redirection off the Ottawa skate doesn't matter. If Roy had kicked it towards the net, it wouldn't have counted. I remember a game a year or two back against Montreal where Drew Stafford kicked a puck from behind the goaline towards the mouth of the goal. It hit the inside of Price's leg and went into the net. They called off the goal on replay due to the distinct kicking motion. Obviously some kind of time window has to come into play, but it was the same basic play (minus the fact that Drew was behind the goal line, so how could he possibly have the intention of kicking it into the net), so the same logic should come into play.

They've been talking about the bite on NHL Live! all morning and the hosts seem to think that this should warrant a suspension too. Which surprised me because I assumed everyone hates Buffalo.

Not everybody hates Buffalo, LOL.....But even if they did, they hat Rutuu even more...........He's been a douche for a long time........... :beer:

Archived