GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:00pm

Finally, after two years of putzing around, the Buffalo Sabres are back to "us vs. the world", which worked so so well in 05-06. Say what you want about any of the current sabres, coaches, management, etc. but one thing is the absolute truth. When Lindy and the boys get shoved into a corner, they find a way to win. Monday's game demonstrated that the sabres had to beat a team, the refs, and to some extent, even the announcers. Look for that to continue at home tonight. Hope Miller won't get a 1 game suspension for his ref comments. Specifically for this game, the Sabres need to play a smart game after they score a goal. Saturday night was ridiculous. They should make a training dvd from the footage and call it "How not to play a shift immediately following a goal".

LETS GO BUFFALO!

7:00pm

Finally, after two years of putzing around, the Buffalo Sabres are back to "us vs. the world", which worked so so well in 05-06. Say what you want about any of the current sabres, coaches, management, etc. but one thing is the absolute truth. When Lindy and the boys get shoved into a corner, they find a way to win. Monday's game demonstrated that the sabres had to beat a team, the refs, and to some extent, even the announcers. Look for that to continue at home tonight. Hope Miller won't get a 1 game suspension for his ref comments. Specifically for this game, the Sabres need to play a smart game after they score a goal. Saturday night was ridiculous. They should make a training dvd from the footage and call it "How not to play a shift immediately following a goal".

LETS GO BUFFALO!

With Gratton and Vrbata out of the lineup the Bolts are ripe for the picking!!!!!

The Sabres PP has been moving the puck great lately. They've been producing great scoring chances and they're bound to start putting the puck in more on the pp.

Refs called the game in favor of Pittsburg and the Sabres basically told them to shove it by killing off the 5 on 3's and winning the game. Gaustad's hit was sweet!

Why would Miller be suspended for a game? He didn't cuss the ref out. The ref told him to f*** off.

I hope the Sabres play w/ this pisssed off attitude tonight. If they do it, they'll win. Sabres should play like the Charlestown Chiefs!

Tonight is actually a big game. If they lose after beating Sidney and the other man/children in Pittsburgh, it will be a bit of a downer indeed. Need to keep the momentum going and keep their position in the standings.

One thing about that great start to the year, it did give us a buffer to absorb a losing streak, which, God willing, is a thing of the past.

Let's go Sabres!

Tonight is actually a big game. If they lose after beating Sidney and the other man/children in Pittsburgh, it will be a bit of a downer indeed. Need to keep the momentum going and keep their position in the standings.

One thing about that great start to the year, it did give us a buffer to absorb a losing streak, which, God willing, is a thing of the past.

Let's go Sabres!

Absolutely. They need to show that the past couple games aren't a fluke. They need to strike early both physically and on the scoreboard. The Lightning are in disarray, no way we can lose. Gerbe's first goal(s) tonight, I think.

The Lightning will be desperate for a win. They've only had one in their last 14 games (1-9-4 in that stretch) and two in their last 17 (2-10-5). They need to come out and pound them early. Get them believing they will lose again. They have offensive talent that can get rolling (see our first game), but their defense is terrible. Exploit that weaknesses before their strengths get going. And, for the love of god, when we score, don't let them come out the next shift and get one back.

If we continue to play the way we have for last 2 games(north-south, Puck on net, bodies to the net, forecheck, backcheck, finish checks, pay the czechs(wait Doms not on the team anymore), force play in other end and neutral zone......

then IMHO good things happen, the Hockey gods will smile once again on bounces our way and now that the officiating conspiracy has seen the light of day the Sabres continue this win streak and start re-establishing the home ice advantage.... Let s Go Bflo 4-2 Good guys.

And I think that's the biggest load of crock I've ever heard.

Agreed. That jack-off should be the one getting fined. Not Ryan Miller.

In any case, tonight is a big game. They need to start beating teams that they should beat and they got to start winning at home, period! After the wins against Boston and Pittsburgh in late November, we thought this team turned the corner. They didn't. Now, we played two good games on the road and beat the Pens on their home rink. Now are we turning the corner? They need to play hard. Get a early lead. I don't care who plays in goal for Tampa Bay, Mike Smith or Olaf Kolzig, we need a win and a nice one at that. I can't wait to see Nathan Gerbe on home ice though.

And i hope somebody lays out Stamkos. I hated when he show boated on HSBC Arena last time around after his 2nd goal.

Absolutely. They need to show that the past couple games aren't a fluke. They need to strike early both physically and on the scoreboard. The Lightning are in disarray, no way we can lose. Gerbe's first goal(s) tonight, I think.

I assume you mean "TB stinks; it would be terrible if we lost", not "TB stinks; we are absolutely, definitely, no-question-about-it gonna win"? If it's the latter, I must ask: are you on drugs?

In any event, the Sabres have proven for the last 100 games that they are 100% capable of losing this game. We need to win because we need to salt away the points. It looks like if we are going to make the playoffs this year, it's going to be via the 7th-place-to-10th-place dogfight.

I assume you mean "TB stinks; it would be terrible if we lost", not "TB stinks; we are absolutely, definitely, no-question-about-it gonna win"? If it's the latter, I must ask: are you on drugs?

In any event, the Sabres have proven for the last 100 games that they are 100% capable of losing this game. We need to win because we need to salt away the points. It looks like if we are going to make the playoffs this year, it's going to be via the 7th-place-to-10th-place dogfight.

I agree..

I don't see Boston or Montreal backing up.

Don't look now, but Ottawa is only four points behind the Sabres and the Leafs are only three. Ottawa has two less games. They are starting to roll.

if we are going to make the playoffs this year, it's going to be via the 7th-place-to-10th-place dogfight.

this has been my feeling on this team, this season from the get-go.

and unless and until i see something that materially changes the team's color/complexion (that's a metaphor, y'all (please hold the jokes invoking val james, et al.)), my money would be on a 10th place finish.

:bag:

but given my profoundly undistinguished track record in matters of wagering and odds making, my betting man's take could actually be a good thing. i pray that's the case.

I meant TB stinks, it would be terrible if we lost. For Buffalo to not have to sneak into the playoffs, they need to win games they should win and this is one of them.

Right on. This will be a tough game and they better come out and play like they want it, or else....well....or else

I think the Sabres will actually win by a 2 or 3 goal margin, maybe even 4. They should be pumped up to play a strong game at home after two tough wins. When is the last time the Sabres actually won by more than 1 goal?

The only problem they could have would be with Miller having his ego bruised from the ref telling him to go #%^$#! himself. It should be incentive for him to have a solid game I would hope. Focus Ryan, focus!!!

Sabres 6-3

I could settle for a good, entertaining, hockey game.

I agree. I would except a loss like Montreal. I would not except a loss like Nashville.

But i still think we are going to win.

And Hecht gets a Gordie.

In any event, the Sabres have proven for the last 100 games that they are 100% capable of losing this game.

Yeah, it's frustrating how they have proven that they can lose games that they "should" win and win games that they "should" lose.

In a quick rundown, by my calculations our record this year looks like (opponent's record against us in parentheses*):

Against EC teams ahead of us: 8-4-0 (4-6-2)

Against EC teams behind us: 2-4-2 (6-2-0)

Against WC teams: 2-2-1 (3-1-1)

Even three of our last four wins were against good teams, Boston and Pittsburgh (twice), with a tough loss against Montreal (even the first Pittsburgh game was our to lose.)

* having to include this shows the flaw in the current point system. A win is a win, but a loss is not a loss. :wallbash:

Archived