GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

good lord, that feels much better!

I just wish that the sabres were tougher, or at least had one player who would just say f*** it and level lucic for that hit. Nothing dirty, just run him. Oh well! GOOD WIN!!!

I'm with you. Should have answered the bell immediately. How come three different guys can go after one of our players (recently Peters) and no penalty, no nothing. But our star gets run and the Swords don't do anything. I would love to see an opposing player get pounded under those circumstances.

End Rant. That said. Loved the intensity and why can't Max just play like that ALL THE TIME!?

That was an excellent win. And while I also would've liked to see some payback on Lucic, the Sabres played a pretty physical game and laid out plenty of big hits. Even though Kaleta got 2 penalties, they were both borderline and overall I thought he had a very strong game.

Also:

Great game from Miller. Very nice to see.

Roy looks like he's finding his groove.

Pretty decent showing from the Teppo/Tallinder pairing. A couple of goofs from Rivet, but he and Lydman handled being the top pairing and playing a lot of tough minutes pretty well.

Pretty determined offensive zone play from both Stafford and Max. Mancari still in and around the action a lot. (Speaking of Mancari, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Kotalik's spot next year.)

Everyone else in the Eastern conference won tonight.

This was a potential turning point win, but only if they follow it up with 3 more strong showings and at least 2 wins in this 4-in-6 stretch they've got going. No excuses and no mail-it-in-because-we're-tired crapola.

But that was a very good win. Boston is going to be in it all year. They are really good.

Everyone else in the Eastern conference won tonight.

I noticed that, too. The only team ahead of us that lost (besides the Bruins, of course) was Carolina. Small consolation: all of the teams behind us lost, though two did get the OT point.

Here's a scary thought: that was the Bruin's first loss in regulation this month. Their last regulation loss was against the Flames on October 30th.

David and Goliath?

post-1053-1227764366_thumbjpg

I'm glad David won again.

Not complaining...just an observation, but Kerry Frazier's crew has got to be the worst in hockey. How that trip on Roy wasn't called is beyond me. Also, that should have been a penalty as well when Chara hit the puck over the glass. It doesn't matter if he hit it out with his hand or not. It looked like 1980 with all the hooking and interference that wasn't called. Okay...maybe I was complaining but I'm allowed to cuz we won.

Not complaining...just an observation, but Kerry Frazier's crew has got to be the worst in hockey. How that trip on Roy wasn't called is beyond me. Also, that should have been a penalty as well when Chara hit the puck over the glass. It doesn't matter if he hit it out with his hand or not. It looked like 1980 with all the hooking and interference that wasn't called. Okay...maybe I was complaining but I'm allowed to cuz we won.

I'd be curious to know if you can knock the puck out with your hand. Without knowing, I'm guessing that the rule refers to a stick..

Roy, well he did fall a second or two after the contact. It was close to a dive call. Not saying he did, just that on replay it looked very strange. He stayed up and then defied the Weebles logic. You know.. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..

I don't mean to bitch or sound negative, especially after ending a 5 game funk against the top team in the east, but if Roy spent a little less time flopping around everytime he's grazed, there's a chance he would get a call like that one last night.

As it is, I'm fearing he'll called for diving everytime someone trips him up.

What I am looking for tonight is a solid all around game. If you are not willing to play a consistent hard working make your own luck style you cannot expect the hockey gods to smile upon you for the one or two periods or games you actually try and do outplay the other team.......

We need a solid game from the goalie out, good two way hockey from forwards and defense and capitalize on the chances we do get... Pleasseee, No awe schucks gee I cannot believe that just happened looks out there tonight..... Come on lets make your own luck tonight boys with good old fashoined hard work and grit and just get'r done. :chris:

Just what the team needed, now lets hope they all remember how it's done for next game.

I think the hit should have been answered back immediately. Since it wasn't, they can't do anything because it's tight. But I highly doubt they'd deal with the hit if the game got out of hand either. They are a bunch of pansies, and it stinks. Team toughness brings together everyone. That is what they need. They are hockey players, after all.

That really is the correct time to get it done if you want to send the message to the other team... :rolleyes: .. I'm really starting to wonder if Lindy is telling them that's NOT how he wants them to play because coming up through the minors and such, that type of response is almost ingrained in players for those type of situations... It really shouldn't require any thought just reaction..

Good win tonight. They worked harder than I've seen them play yet this season. Max looked possessed along with a lot of other players. They skated to the puck, made smart plays, and threw their bodies around. The players we need to score potted goals. This is how you win games.

Oh and the thirds looked great. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Now lets' just keep it up boys... I also really liked the thirds and want to see them play this way now that the 3rds are unveiled lets carry that style forward.....

FWIW I got my e-mail from NHL.com saying my Jersey has been shipped tuesday and after seeing them I'm real glad I got it on sale in october including numbers and lettering...I can't remember who on the board alerted us and I'm too lazy to look it up but thanks man.(for some reason I'm thinking Vanek man or you D4rksabre)

Haven't posted in a bit....

i watched bits of the game....wasn't too impressed by Pomer the bombers' play...Max played great....and am very Happy that Roy is getting some goals....

I really wish Max will become an all-star.... he has the greatest potential, and i would HATE to trade him....

but great game!! glad the skid is over!

I'd be curious to know if you can knock the puck out with your hand. Without knowing, I'm guessing that the rule refers to a stick..

Roy, well he did fall a second or two after the contact. It was close to a dive call. Not saying he did, just that on replay it looked very strange. He stayed up and then defied the Weebles logic. You know.. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down..

I don't mean to bitch or sound negative, especially after ending a 5 game funk against the top team in the east, but if Roy spent a little less time flopping around everytime he's grazed, there's a chance he would get a call like that one last night.

As it is, I'm fearing he'll called for diving everytime someone trips him up.

There is no way that that was even close to a dive. C'mon, don't you think he would rather score there than get a call. Roy was cutting hard to his left when you see Chara's stick hit Roy's foot and it gets turned inward, making him fall. His problem is that he is too good a skater and managed to stay up a little longer than most. And to my point about Frazier's crew, a penalty is a penalty. It is ridiculous that it was not called because by your reasoning the ref was thinking,"ya know, at some point in other games this player has been known to dive so I'm not going to call an actual penalty now."

There is no way that that was even close to a dive. C'mon, don't you think he would rather score there than get a call. Roy was cutting hard to his left when you see Chara's stick hit Roy's foot and it gets turned inward, making him fall. His problem is that he is too good a skater and managed to stay up a little longer than most. And to my point about Frazier's crew, a penalty is a penalty. It is ridiculous that it was not called because by your reasoning the ref was thinking,"ya know, at some point in other games this player has been known to dive so I'm not going to call an actual penalty now."

Didn't say he did dive. Just that it looked very strange..

No, I'm thinking the ref has to make a split second decision, and as such is biased NOT to let those go in favor of a player with a reputation.

And it's really not something I'm thinking, it's a well known fact, but whether it was the case last night, we obviously don't know.

No, I'm thinking the ref has to make a split second decision, and as such is biased NOT to let those go in favor of a player with a reputation.

And it's really not something I'm thinking, it's a well known fact, but whether it was the case last night, we obviously don't know.

Now I'm just confused. Which is it? Your first line says that refs are not biased and always make the right call regardless of who the player is. Then your second line says that it's a well known fact that refs ARE biased and make calls depending on the player.

I don't really know why I am belaboring this point. I guess I just get tired of hearing how Roy dives. He is a little guy who gets manhandled most nights and NEVER gets a call. If I were him I'd be frustrated too. Then I watch other games and see way worse behavior and they get the call. Yes, I have Penalty Envy.

Now I'm just confused. Which is it? Your first line says that refs are not biased and always make the right call regardless of who the player is. Then your second line says that it's a well known fact that refs ARE biased and make calls depending on the player.

I don't really know why I am belaboring this point. I guess I just get tired of hearing how Roy dives. He is a little guy who gets manhandled most nights and NEVER gets a call. If I were him I'd be frustrated too. Then I watch other games and see way worse behavior and they get the call. Yes, I have Penalty Envy.

Read it again then, cause my first line says this "No, I'm thinking the ref has to make a split second decision, and as such is biased NOT to let those go in favor of a player with a reputation.".

Translation - Refs are human, that's all I'm saying.

Wasn't trying to pick a fight, but hey....

Read it again then, cause my first line says this "No, I'm thinking the ref has to make a split second decision, and as such is biased NOT to let those go in favor of a player with a reputation.".

Translation - Refs are human, that's all I'm saying.

Wasn't trying to pick a fight, but hey....

Humans suck. We need robot refs.

I really wish Max will become an all-star.... he has the greatest potential, and i would HATE to trade him....

I disagree with this post more than any other single post that I have read in this forum. Potential? He'll be 30 in 10 months.

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1999-00 Buffalo Sabres NHL 65 16 18 34

2000-01 Buffalo Sabres NHL 78 14 22 36

2001-02 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 21 19 40

2002-03 Buffalo Sabres NHL 35 5 6 11

2003-04 Buffalo Sabres NHL 73 17 14 31

2005-06 Buffalo Sabres NHL 77 22 51 73

2006-07 Buffalo Sabres NHL 56 23 38 61

2007-08 Buffalo Sabres NHL 56 10 18 28

If you take the "no touch" season of 05-06 out of his stats, he's plain pedestian. He's averaged 16 goals a year. You have got to be kidding. I've heard way too much of this max clamoring. I'm pulling up the soap box and I'm yelling from here on out.

MAX SUCKS!

If you take the "no touch" season of 05-06 out of his stats

It was more than just the "no touch" part. He was on probably the best third line in the league. Vanek was good that year, but he wouldn't have been a 40/40/40 player on a first or second line. With two dangerous top lines, how do account for a third line like Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov, especially in the "no touch" new NHL. It was a perfect storm for Max; it won't happen again.

It was more than just the "no touch" part. He was on probably the best third line in the league. Vanek was good that year, but he wouldn't have been a 40/40/40 player on a first or second line. With two dangerous top lines, how do account for a third line like Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov, especially in the "no touch" new NHL. It was a perfect storm for Max; it won't happen again.

Bingo. That is the exact thing I was thinking as I read ink's post. His 05-06 and partial 06-07 seasons were the perfect storm - defenses weren't allowed to touch him, he never faced the other team's top defenders and he had good linemates on the third line.

Love the potential, though. :wallbash:

Archived