GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Good win by the Sabres tonight. Miller got some lucky breaks as the Caps hit quite a few posts tonight, but he was excellent otherwise. Great win and a nice shutout for Miller. I was also happy to see the guys who were supposed to score scoring tonight in Vanek with 2, Roy, and Pominville. And what a great individual effort by Paille feed to Kaleta and back to Paille for a sweet goal to add the fifth. Great win, solid team defense, and great to see the guys supposed to score scoring tonight. My three stars for tonight:

Third Star - Pominville (1 goal, 1 assist)

Second Star - Vanek (2 goals)

First Star - Miller (shutout)

Very happy with the team's performance. Need to play like this in New Jersey. Keep the momentum going.

We were good and lucky tonight. That's hard for a team to beat!

Overall great win. Few comments:

1) Good to see Pommer and Roy each get one. Hopefully that will be a spark.

2) Great first period, sloppy second and decent third. I guess when you are up by 3, it's easy to get sloppy, but they say an early three-goal lead is the hardest to hold and that's probably why.

3) Vanek back to working on being the best two-way player in the league. Would have been nice if that wrap-around had crossed the line for the hat trick.

4) Now I know how Tampa fans felt last game.

5) The ice must have been bad because guys were falling all over the place.

6) Sekera and Spacek each really tried hard to blow Miller's shutout at the end there.

7) That Paille and Kaleta goal was pretty! Who knew Kaleta had it in him? If that's our fourth line, it will be hard for other teams to know who to defend.

8) Connolly did look a little rusty. Some great stuff, some ... meh. He definitely adds a lot to the team, but I don't think we saw all of it tonight. Hopefully, we'll see more. Will he stay healthy? Who knows, but he's good to have when he's in.

9) If this team ever finds a way to make its PP work, they will be the first defensive team to average 5 goals a night.

10) I hope they are convinced now that winning is fun and that playing a defensive game doesn't mean not scoring. They scored three in the first, which was the only period that they really locked it down during.

Toronto spanked the Rangers tonight!

Archived