GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I'm one of Maxs' biggest supporters on this board... I thought he played pretty well... But damn, one of those shots needs to go in already....

And the people said, "Amen!"

My son has a #61 jersey, I and hope the guy starts scoring so he doesn't get traded. I don't want to have to buy him another jersey!

Some quick thoughts:

1) Vanek is clutch. I'd go as far as to say that he is playing decent hockey!

2) Roy finally scores. He has been playing great, and setitng up plays, but he finally got his own

3) Stafford is warming up

4) The D-pairings were a-ok without rivet. Paetsch played well and there wasn't a dropoff.

5) Tallydman didn't miss a step

6) Sekera might just be blooming into a much better version of Brian Campbell7) Great 1st period, horrible 2nd, whatever in the first 15:00 of the 3rd, last 5 minutes and OT, um, about as damn great as it gets.

That's all for now. I really am in disbelief right now. Still very angry at the own goal situation and the complete bla of the game, but those last 5 minutes made it worthwhile. Simply awesome

He showed a lot of hockey smarts on the tying goal the way he jumped into the play to take the pressure off the winger and then the pass from the behind the net to Vanek. :thumbsup:

Sabres (6-0-1) have now beaten the only other regulation-undefeated teams in the NHL: Montreal (5-0-1) and Minnesota (4-0-1).

And we're doing this despite 4 injuries: Hecht, Connolly, Gaustad, Rivet.

don't forget we handed the Rangers their first loss when they were 5-0 as well...

Shout out to Hank Tallinder for going on a little stroll down the board ... dum-de-dum ... behind the net ... ho-hum ... AND PASSING IT RIGHT OUT TO ROY AND VANEK!

Whoops Wild. Maybe you should have done something about that.

My reaction at the time was, hey where are you going? It's 4 on 4 and if you're down low near the net, who is playing high? It was one of the slowest, almost surreal goals to watch. And then the reaction, as McCleary was emphatically pointing goal was, wow did we just do that??? And then, thank god it was Roy. He needed a goal bad..

3) Stafford is warming up

Boy am I glad I got that Stafford jersey when I was home in Buffalo a couple years back! :)

4) The D-pairings were a-ok without rivet. Paetsch played well and there wasn't a dropoff.

No drop-off defensively, and Paetsch had a big part of the second goal, but I still think not having Rivet on the PP hurt the Sabres. Not complaining about Paetsch's effort or the win, mind you, but I think that part was missing.

6) Sekera might just be blooming into a much better version of Brian Campbell
Brian who? Yeah, I wish we coulda kept Soupy, but I don't see Sekera as anything like Campbell. I see him as more of a Lidstrom. He makes EVERY defensive play look easy, and chips in offensively when he has to. No flash, all results. I can see Sekera doing a spin-o-rama move or smoking Umberger, but he's always in position and has a decent nose for when to jump into the play.

Not the Sabres best night, but man, they don't quit.

I was happy with one point, ecstatic with two. Talking to my bro and sis-in-law on the phone after the game, they commented that the Sabres are still haven't played a 60-minute game. How awesome WILL they be when they start doing that? :thumbsup:

Shout out to Hank Tallinder for going on a little stroll down the board ... dum-de-dum ... behind the net ... ho-hum ... AND PASSING IT RIGHT OUT TO ROY AND VANEK!

Whoops Wild. Maybe you should have done something about that.

And hats off to Paetsch for the shot that was deflected for the second goal, and to Sekera, who's effort down low set up Vanek's tying goal. I LOVE this defensive corps.

I was happy with one point, ecstatic with two. Talking to my bro and sis-in-law on the phone after the game, they commented that the Sabres are still haven't played a 60-minute game. How awesome WILL they be when they start doing that? :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing...............get our injured guys back and play a solid 60 minute game. I'm pretty excited at what that may bring.

Wow, nice finish by Miller on the 3rd goal. Great hands!

Really nice work by #61 on the 2nd goal. He made that play happen. He's not scoring, but he is working hard.

Nice road win. You take 'em any way you can get 'em, especially after your goalie pots one for the bad guys!

okay admit it... Who hear thought the game was out of reach when Miller own goaled it??? I sure as hell did...

I didn't watch most of the game until I got back from playing hockey around 1145. Once it was 3-1 I started fast forwarding. I figured with Lemaire's Ruination-of-hockey-trap, the game was sealed. I stopped FFD when I saw Mair skating by the bench touching gloves.

GREAT COMEBACK WIN, AGAIN!!!!!

The day after game thoughts

1. Minnesota has a very good team and it was fun watching them. Expected trap hockey to be dull and that simply wasn't the case. They flow from D to O about as good as anyone. And they did that without Gaborik. Consider also that Rolston is no longer there.

2. The Sabres seem to pay everytime they gambled.

3. Miller's own goal didn't even phase me. It was just a freaky thing. About all I could muster in reaction to it was, WOW.

4. The RVS line played a helluva game.. Responsible for three goals.

5. Anytime you get a goal from Mair, it's just gravy.

6. The D pairings were okay, not great. Minnesota spent a bunch of time in our zone. The great news is they didn't really give up much even strength. Their goals came on the PP and odd man rushes.

7. Paetsch played pretty well overall.

8. At one point last night, the Sabres were leading in faceoffs. Haven't seen the final numbers but they did lose the key ones when they had their few offensive zone faceoffs on the PP.

9. Backstrom simply melted in the last five minutes of the game.

10. This is the kind of game that seperates winners from losers. On to the AVs for more of the same.

From today's Star Tribune:

It's the most embarrassing thing I've ever done in my life," Miller said. "I figured if I played long enough, I would make a blooper reel."

But the victory allowed Miller to walk into the dressing room and, according to coach Lindy Ruff, joke, "[Thirty] saves, and a goal. Pretty good night."

10. This is the kind of game that separates winners from losers. On to the AVs for more of the same.

And imagine...they won this game without Rivet, Hecht, & Goose. To me, it's a testament to Lindy Ruff that these guys are 6-0-1 with those three players missing a combined 14 games.

I'm glad Miller can laugh at his own goal - the only thing that did was give a Western conference opponent an extra point. With his new contract, I'm thinking Ryan should be taking the team out to dinner tonight.

Archived