GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Sabres ranked 13th last season on the PP. Not great, but it isn't like they were brutal.

Yeah, but they rarely got PPgoals when we really needed them. This game, they started with a PP goal, and this is a huge difference.

But they would've taken pretty much 45 minutes of game time off, making it a 10-7 final score :thumbsup:

Right on. I know the Islanders aren't supposed to be all that great, but, good teams are supposed to beat the hell out of bad ones. I will take 7-1 or 8-1 or whatever it ends up being, over 10 goals in the first two periods, 7 for the other team in the third, and a bad first two periods the next game = lose, every day.

I only listened on the radio but I was most impressed that they didn't really give up anything in the third. The shutout would have been nice, BUT with the game really out of reach at the end of two they didn't allow the Isles ANY reason to have hope in the third, especially with the backup goalie playing.

This is a new year - last years team would have LOST the second game of the year to the Isles!

Damn Lindy just said it looks like hecht will "be out for a little bit of time" ... down THREE centers already ... takes some of the shine off ...

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not Rivet will be able to play on Wednesday. I was shocked to see how fast the Sabres responded to back one of their teammates up. Prior to this season, the Sabres didn't do much to protect their players. I think a lot of it has to deal w/ how long they've been playing together, but I also believe Rivet is rubbing off on the guys. I know he said he's not an enforcer, but damn! Rivet jumped in fast and beat the shiit out of an Islander.

Again, if Rivet and Kaleta can play, I wonder if the Sabres will even bring anyone up. Nathan P. could play as a forward, but I do think it'd be better for Buffalo to bring up a player. Not sure which one, but I'm sure a lot of people would like to see Gerbe...I, myself, would like to see it.

Hopefuly Hecht isn't out too long. His goal was sweet.

I think a lot of it depends on whether or not Rivet will be able to play on Wednesday. I was shocked to see how fast the Sabres responded to back one of their teammates up. Prior to this season, the Sabres didn't do much to protect their players. I think a lot of it has to deal w/ how long they've been playing together, but I also believe Rivet is rubbing off on the guys. I know he said he's not an enforcer, but damn! Rivet jumped in fast and beat the shiit out of an Islander.

Again, if Rivet and Kaleta can play, I wonder if the Sabres will even bring anyone up. Nathan P. could play as a forward, but I do think it'd be better for Buffalo to bring up a player. Not sure which one, but I'm sure a lot of people would like to see Gerbe...I, myself, would like to see it.

Hopefuly Hecht isn't out too long. His goal was sweet.

If anyone is called up, I'd be willing to bet that it's Zagrapan. He's really the only true center they have in Portland.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I didn't see the fight the first time (missed the second period in a meeting :( ), but after watching that, I'm not sure what Rivet was thinking. Yeah, we're short centers, but Mair can handle a good face-to-face fight (obviously, since he did.)

If you'd rather hear RJ:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7d3vbOEvc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC7d3vbOEvc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I didn't see the fight the first time (missed the second period in a meeting :( ), but after watching that, I'm not sure what Rivet was thinking. Yeah, we're short centers, but Mair can handle a good face-to-face fight (obviously, since he did.)

Listening to post-game talk, PH mentioned that Mair might not be able to defend himself to the best of his abilities and that is why Rivet stepped in.

Listening to post-game talk, PH mentioned that Mair might not be able to defend himself to the best of his abilities and that is why Rivet stepped in.

Ah, good point. I forgot that he was coming off of an injury. Seemed to do alright, though.

I hope the league buys it, because I'd hate for Rivet to get any kind of suspension.

Game thoughts...

-Glad to see Lalime get in a game early in the season AND have a very good showing.

-I can appreciate Rivet's willingness to throw them, but pounding on a guys helmet is never a good thing.

-MacDonald being bad in goal on a bad team leads to a team that just quits playing mid-way through a game.

-Comrie sticking a towel on his stick in the penalty box in "surrender fashion" should have drawn a game misconduct(obviously the refs didn't see him). What a punk!

-The scoresheet shows 3 PP goals, but watching the game, the PP was pathetic for the most part.

-Pretty good hustle by the Sabres in the 3rd period when the game was in hand. I noticed a few good hits and good play in their own zone.

-Did the refs get drunk before the game? Dropping the puck when an Islander player was skating back to the bench after bringing a new stick to the player in the box. Allowing Mair and Thompson to go from the locker room to the penalty box and then sending them back to the locker room again. Way to bring your "A" game.

-Vanek looks a little quicker this year.

Wow, I feel sorry for hockey fans on the island. I just watched a couple of clips on YouTube, and the NHL official highlights, and those announcers are horrible--even when the game was 0-0 or 1-0--I mean, horrible. They could have been describing a game of backgammon or Scrabble for all I can tell. We're lucky, lucky to have RJ.

Archived