Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This is interesting. Doesn't uber also draw crappy cars and scummy drivers? Or do ratings and feedback force the bad cars out of business?

Uber Driver Car Requirements http://www.idrivewithuber.com/uber-driver-requirements/

You must have a vehicle (or purchase one) that meets the Uber Car Requirements.

The UberX vehicle requirements are:

• 4-door sedan, must seat 4 or more passengers excluding driver.
  • Year 2001* or newer. (Atlanta is 2005 or newer and NYC is 2011 or newer)
  • In-state plates.
  • No marked, taxi, or salvaged vehicles.
  • Pass Uber vehicle inspection.
  • The car must be currently registered, but your name does not have to be on the registration.
Edited by LGR4GM

Well, it wouldn't be surprising if UB students were worse than RIT students, but framing it as a private vs state is where you get it wrong. It's higher entrance requirements vs lower requirements. If you thought UB was bad, you should experience Brockport or Buffalo State.

What about Brockport?

I didn't get accepted to Brockport.

But you did into UB?

What about Brockport?

Well, back in 03,they had the best food in the SUNY system and were also rumored to have the highest STD rate among students. So I thought, good food, loose women, definitely go there! The administration had other plans.

Well, back in 03,they had the best food in the SUNY system and were also rumored to have the highest STD rate among students. So I thought, good food, loose women, definitely go there! The administration had other plans.

I have no clue about the food, I never dormed. But otherwise a fun college for sure. They've really killed it in the last few years though Edited by WildCard

I've never been in an Uber car more than say 4-5 years old.  Friendly drivers, cars are always clean and often have complimentary drinks (water, soda).

The amount of research out there with hand washing is interesting.  One instance where it might be wise not to use soap and only hot water is when in a restroom with bulk refillable soap dispensers....bad news.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126420/

The purpose of hand washing is to remove soil and to reduce the level of potentially pathogenic transient microorganisms. This is the first study to quantitatively demonstrate that washing hands with contaminated liquid soap actually increases the number of Gram-negative bacteria on hands. Furthermore, the results directly demonstrate that bacteria from contaminated hands can be transferred to secondary surfaces. We therefore conclude that washing with contaminated soap not only defeats the purpose of hand washing but may contribute to the transmission of potentially harmful bacteria. The results of the two laboratory hand washing studies were corroborated by the elementary school field study, which demonstrated a 26-fold increase in the number of Gram-negative bacteria present on the hands (Table 4) after washing with contaminated soap from bulk-soap-refillable dispensers, demonstrating a potential public health risk in public, non-health-care settings. Importantly, when the contaminated dispensers in the school were replaced with dispensers containing sealed-soap refills, none were found to be contaminated after 12 months of use. 

Re grades and such: My son is taking an online class and this weekend he saw he had a 0 on a project he turned in weeks ago but the instructor just got around to grading. He's scored As on all the rest of the work in the class. The instructor said she couldn't open the attachment from the online submittal, which my son can show when it was submitted (there's a time logged). Apparently the rule is that all work has to be submitted via this tool and he can't simply send it email (school is afraid of attachments maybe?) So now he's stuck waiting on the IT people to figure out how to open a Word attachment that somehow got corrupted when he submitted it....

I used to corrupt text files on purpose when I needed more time to finish something. Prof would email me that they had trouble with the file, then I'd "resend" it. Edited by qwksndmonster

I used to corrupt text files on purpose when I needed more time to finish something. Prof would email me that they had trouble with the file, then I'd "resend" it.

Yup, did this too. Especially easy back in the day when we had floppy disks

NYC is the only place in the state with Uber.  The entire rest of the state, it's illegal.  It's a state issue.

Well, I got curious, so I looked into it a bit.  We're sorta both right.  Uber isn't in NYS other than NYC because there is indeed a state law problem with insurance for ride-sharing services.  (NB that it's not clear whether insurance companies are prohibited from insuring ride-sharing services, or whether they simply don't want to until the NYS legislature passes minimum coverage requirements, or other -- the news articles I found are pretty imprecise.)

The problem was addressed in NYC by requiring Uber drivers to obtain taxi licenses, which in turn enabled them to get insurance through the taxi system.  Presumably, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. could do the same thing for their Uber drivers, but the local taxi unions have been influential enough to prevent this from happening.

This is interesting. Doesn't uber also draw crappy cars and scummy drivers? Or do ratings and feedback force the bad cars out of business?

I've been in about a zillion uber cars and a zillion NYC cabs, and I think every one of the uber cars was nicer, newer and cleaner than the best NYC cab I've ever been in.  The uber cars are almost always 1- to 3-year-old hybrid Camrys, Highlanders or similar cars (in NYC that is -- in California they're all Priuses), they always have leather seats that are firm and in good condition, and the cars are almost always quite clean.  NYC cabs are always dingy, often smelly, and the seats always have permanent butt indentations, some quite large (and deep). 

Well, I got curious, so I looked into it a bit.  We're sorta both right.  Uber isn't in NYS other than NYC because there is indeed a state law problem with insurance for ride-sharing services.  (NB that it's not clear whether insurance companies are prohibited from insuring ride-sharing services, or whether they simply don't want to until the NYS legislature passes minimum coverage requirements, or other -- the news articles I found are pretty imprecise.)

The problem was addressed in NYC by requiring Uber drivers to obtain taxi licenses, which in turn enabled them to get insurance through the taxi system.  Presumably, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. could do the same thing for their Uber drivers, but the local taxi unions have been influential enough to prevent this from happening.

I've been in about a zillion uber cars and a zillion NYC cabs, and I think every one of the uber cars was nicer, newer and cleaner than the best NYC cab I've ever been in.  The uber cars are almost always 1- to 3-year-old hybrid Camrys, Highlanders or similar cars (in NYC that is -- in California they're all Priuses), they always have leather seats that are firm and in good condition, and the cars are almost always quite clean.  NYC cabs are always dingy, often smelly, and the seats always have permanent butt indentations, some quite large (and deep). 

I don't think so.  I think NYC is allowed to regulate its own livery while everywhere else in the state is regulated by the state.  Not 100% certain, but I've been following this issue for a while.  Also, candidates for the state legislature were discussing it during campaign season.

I used to corrupt text files on purpose when I needed more time to finish something. Prof would email me that they had trouble with the file, then I'd "resend" it.

Yup, did this too. Especially easy back in the day when we had floppy disks

Yeah.... I don't think this happened.  He was pretty shocked and panicked that he had a zero for that assignment.

Should've went to UB by the sound of it :lol:

Where did you transfer?

I've got credits from SU, UB, MVCC, and I finally graduated from Morrisville. My parents kinda got ahold of my transcripts and forced me to graduate. I was really good at college. (or really bad at it!)

What about Brockport?

But you did into UB?

Of the schools I've taught at, Brockport was tied for worst students I've had. I could teach the exact same course there as elsewhere, in the same semester, and grades would routinely be ~15 points lower.

Yup, and I feel that there were many, many more loose women there than at Brockport.

Oh and I occasionally studied. And I also occasionally transfered schools.

Well, yea, there's about 4x the students :lol:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

The insurance issue is not inconsequential (not that I'm suggesting you think it is).  I guarantee you there are many states with looser regs and Uber drivers who don't want to let their insurance companies know they're Uber drivers.  The possibilities for nastiness are endless. 

Of the schools I've taught at, Brockport was tied for worst students I've had. I could teach the exact same course there as elsewhere, in the same semester, and grades would routinely be ~15 points lower.

Damn, well that's depressing :lol:

I took a few political science classes a few years back. Never had you though

The insurance issue is not inconsequential (not that I'm suggesting you think it is).  I guarantee you there are many states with looser regs and Uber drivers who don't want to let their insurance companies know they're Uber drivers.  The possibilities for nastiness are endless. 

Oh, I agree that it's an important issue.  I was just trying to drill down on whether uber is actually "illegal" in NYS other than NYC, and if so, why.

As for other states -- I'm sure there are many with looser insurance regs -- but at the same time, any insurance company is going to be highly motivated to determine whether its customer is an uber driver -- i.e. I would bet that pretty much every insurance company in every state will ask the customer whether he/she is a driver for hire, and if that driver lied in answering that question, the insurance company would deny a claim.