I'm not sure who it was defending GARTH from Ek's site but...

LabattBlue

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heard a morsel of a rumour from one of my favourite rink rats today that the Sabres are keeping a "keen eye" on the developing Jay Bouwmeester saga in Sunrise. Will Jacques Martin sign his young D before he gets to Toronto for his arb hearing? Its likely that Martin will not want any part of an arb award that may exceed $4 milion per copy. As for Bouwmeester, its hard to sign a guy who reportedly does not want to stay a Panther.

Max Afinogenov's fiancee, and family are home based in the Fort Lauderdale area. Dylan Hunter may be used to sweeten the deal. Florida's new coach, Peter DeBoer is very familiar with Hunter from the Kitchener vs. London wars.

Call it crazy, but its very possible.

Max has the one thing that coaches cannot teach: SPEED. He backs off D and creates huge gaps of white ice. The Panthers have youngsters like Horton and Booth who will thrive with more wiggle room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am 100% confident that Hunter is NOT the key piece needed to "sweeten" the pot, in an attempt to acquire Bouw.

Until he learns to spell and use punctuation, I'll always struggle to put any stock in what Garth says.

That said, he doesn't say Hunter is a "key" piece ... just a sweetener ... you threw in the words "key piece" ... maybe someone really likes the kid, who knows? Not defending him, but there would have to be a lot more than Max and Hunter in the deal anyway ... it doesn't matter, Bouwmeester is going to the highest bidder in terms of trade and then that team will need to get him signed quickly ... just not something I see the Sabres doing, although it would be nice.

Until he learns to spell and use punctuation, I'll always struggle to put any stock in what Garth says.

That said, he doesn't say Hunter is a "key" piece ... just a sweetener ... you threw in the words "key piece" ... maybe someone really likes the kid, who knows? Not defending him, but there would have to be a lot more than Max and Hunter in the deal anyway ... it doesn't matter, Bouwmeester is going to the highest bidder in terms of trade and then that team will need to get him signed quickly ... just not something I see the Sabres doing, although it would be nice.

My point is that Hunter is a borderline 4th line NHL'er at best and he'd be nothing more than a throw-in in any trade. Not a sweetener, not a key piece and NOT worth mentioning even in a blog. :D

Heard a morsel of a rumour from one of my favourite rink rats today that the Sabres are keeping a "keen eye" on the developing Jay Bouwmeester saga in Sunrise. Will Jacques Martin sign his young D before he gets to Toronto for his arb hearing? Its likely that Martin will not want any part of an arb award that may exceed $4 milion per copy. As for Bouwmeester, its hard to sign a guy who reportedly does not want to stay a Panther.

Max Afinogenov's fiancee, and family are home based in the Fort Lauderdale area. Dylan Hunter may be used to sweeten the deal. Florida's new coach, Peter DeBoer is very familiar with Hunter from the Kitchener vs. London wars.

Max has the one thing that coaches cannot teach: SPEED. He backs off D and creates huge gaps of white ice. The Panthers have youngsters like Horton and Booth who will thrive with more wiggle room.

I am 100% confident that Hunter is NOT the key piece needed to "sweeten" the pot, in an attempt to acquire Bouw.

All you need to know about Garth's credibility is that when Buffalo signed Dennis Person he reported that Persson was tearing up the swedish elite league. Of course, most on this board knew that wasn't even close to the case.

Max brings one other thing to the table that a team like FLA struggling to put bodies in seats might consider more valuable than a Canadian team would: he is a VERY exciting player to watch. (Especially before you've watched him for the 8th season in a row dipsy doodle into the zone, go low, come back high, and then have his feet move quicker than his hands which are moving quicker than his thought process and he forgets what he was trying to do with the puck, yada, yada, yada ...)

He'd sell a bunch of jerseys and have a nearly instantaneous young girl fan club which would put mony in the coffers. Definitely not saying he'd be the key in a Bouwmeester trade, but if/when he does get traded I'd expect to see him in FLA or LA a lot more than w/ the Strangers or Loafs.

Archived